Our client, a Cambridge College, is seeking to appoint a knowledgeable and hardworking Head Gardener to oversee the maintenance, development, and landscape strategy for the College gardens and all associated properties owned by the College to the highest standards and using cost effective methods.
Salary Range: USS.43 £34,804, rising to USS.44 £35,845 after 12 months
This is a full-time position working 37 hours per week
The Head Gardener will work closely with the Gardens Committee (a small group of Fellows) who meet regularly. The Head Gardener will lead, supervise and work alongside the gardening team of currently four persons (though this is flexible), organising their work and developing their skills. The Head Gardener is also responsible for maintaining the highest standards of health and safety within the department.
The successful candidate will have:
- In-depth knowledge of plants, tree management, turf culture, horticulture and grounds maintenance techniques.
- Good appreciation of horticultural theory and practice.
- Strong organisational ability, for effective management of own and others priorities, workloads and deadlines.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, written and oral, and confidence in dealing with a wide range of people.
- Adaptability and flexibility and an ability to manage a variable workload.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Hard landscaping skills, e.g. ability to lay paving slabs, complete fence repairs and rendering of garden walls. Training in these skills can be provided if required.
- Familiarity with Health and Safety in the Workplace regulations and commitment to ensuring effective operation of the regulations.
- Able to communicate at all levels effectively.
- Experience of landscape design and selection of plants to achieve high quality floral and herbaceous display but also to make the best of soil conditions, light and aspect within a setting of varied building types and architectural form.
- A minimum of five years significant practical experience in the horticultural or landscape industry at managerial level is essential.
- Some capacity for using IT is essential.
- Subsidised Private Healthcare.
- Defined Pension Contribution Scheme.
- 33 Days annual holiday = 25 holiday days and 8 Bank Holidays.
- Free lunch on duty.
- Use of a gym on site.
Closing date for applications: 12th May, 2021 at midday
Interviews to be held on: 24th May, 2021
To find out more information, please click the apply button. You will then be prompted to complete a simple CHM Recruit form and then redirected to complete your application.
No agencies please.