Exciting opportunity for an estate Woodsman/ Tree Surgeon with strong skills to join an historical estate on the Berkshire / Surrey borders. The estate is privately managed and is set within 200 acres. The gardens comprise a mix of mature and decorative ornamental features set within beautiful landscape. The estate has modern equipment and staff facilities.
To support the existing Gardens team by providing in-house specialist knowledge/expertise in arboriculture and woodland management, and to assist with general grounds maintenance duties as required. Principal duties associated with the role, reporting to the Head Gardener, will include:
- Day-to-day management of existing small woodlands at various stages of rotation, including selective thinning and management of natural regeneration
- In close collaboration with the existing Gardens team, the ongoing management of the ‘woodland’ element of extensive, young, woodland gardens
- Planting and protecting young trees; weeding; managing irrigation; etc.
- A full range of tree management works including basic inspections and associated reporting and record-keeping; climbing; pruning; shaping; felling; etc.
Introducing such a role – in tandem with investing in further training for existing staff – would help to address the following skills gaps/capacity issues:
- ‘Woodland gardening’, particularly the selection and protection of natural regeneration, formative pruning, etc.
- Planting, establishing, and maintaining young trees
- Small-scale woodland management principles
- Increasing in-house arboricultural capabilities
- NPTC Forestry and Arboriculture Level 2 certificates [new codes] 201-210; 212-213; 253-254; 257-258 and Level 3 certificates 2101-2102; 2106-2109 (or equivalent qualifications)
- LANTRA/NPTC certificates in the use of brushcutters and trimmers, stump grinders, and woodchippers
- PA1 and PA6 pesticide certificates
- Basic first aid certificate
- At least three years’ experience in arboriculture and/or woodland management
- Demonstrable understanding of continuous cover forestry principles
- Experience of general grounds maintenance
- Full driving licence (including towing categories B+E)
- Experience in amenity horticulture
- Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) certificate
- Any additional NPTC F&A certificates not listed above