The Laskett Gardens, Much Birch, Herefordshire
Perennial is the nation's only charity dedicated to helping people in horticulture. Together with our network of partners, we provide free support, information, advice, financial assistance and services for horticulturalists and their loved ones experiencing illness, disability, bereavement, family breakdown and financial difficulties.
The Laskett Gardens – once one of England’s most hidden and private gardens – is set in the idyllic countryside of Herefordshire on the Welsh borders. Over almost four decades the historian, Sir Roy Strong, and his late wife, the designer Dr Julia Trevelyan Oman, transformed a four acre field into a series of stunning garden rooms, vistas, ascents and descents.
Sir Roy donated The Laskett to Perennial in early 2021 and we have pledged to maintain it as a garden of great distinction to delight visitors in the years to come.
We are currently looking for a Head Gardener to help us maintain and share the beauty of The Laskett Gardens.
- Salary of c£28,000 per annum
- 25 days’ holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays
- Pension (up to 7% employer contribution)
- DIS benefit
- Sickness pay
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Well-established family friendly policies, including the ability to have extra unpaid leave
- Time off for dependants
If you have experience of managing a high-quality garden, this is an exciting opportunity to care for the largest formal gardens to be created in England since 1945.
You will have the chance to protect and shape one of the most remarkable and inspirational gardens in the UK. This includes a rose garden, pleached lime avenue, orchard, knot garden, fountains, statuary and parterres, as well as the Colonnade Court and a spectacular array of topiary and rich herbaceous and prairie style borders.
So, if you are eager to lead a passionate, hard-working team and join a charity that champions people in the horticulture industry, we want to hear from you.
As the Head Gardener, you will help to ensure that the history, ecology, evolved design and artistic integrity of The Laskett Gardens and other grounds associated with the site are conserved and presented to an exemplary standard.
In this rewarding role, you will:
- Lead the garden team (currently three Gardeners)
- Recruit, train, manage and develop staff and volunteers to present the gardens to a high standard
- Ensure that the retail, catering and visitor facilities are managed effectively
- Make sure that visitors receive an excellent service
- Identify opportunities to promote the gardens and develop the visitor experience
- Manage allocated budgets
To join us as a Head Gardener, you will need:
- Previous experience of managing a garden of quality to a high standard
- Experience of managing staff within a horticultural, conservation or visitor attraction setting
- An RHS Level 3 qualification (or equivalent)
- To be able and willing to work outdoors in all weathers
- The ability to work flexibly, including weekends as part of a rota in season
- A full driving licence
Please note that this role will involve carrying heavy loads, kneeling for long periods, digging and sweeping.
Other organisations may call this role Senior Gardener, Lead Gardener, Horticultural Manager, Attraction Manager, or Head Grounds Person.
Webrecruit and Perennial are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as our Head Gardener, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 37.5 hours per week