Holkham Hall was built between 1734 and 1764 by Thomas Coke, the first Earl of Leicester and remains the home of the Coke family.
The family has owned land at Holkham since 1609. Over the years, Holkham Estate has evolved to become a thoroughly forward-looking rural estate with a mind both to its agricultural and land management roots as well as recognising its distinct appeal within tourism and leisure.
The Estate’s vision is to be the UK’s most pioneering and sustainable rural estate.
The diverse and historic landscape we maintain at Holkham consists of a six and a half acre walled garden currently undergoing a phased project of improvements and restoration; eleven acres of private formal Victorian terraces with box parterres and fountain; and an adjacent arboretum and pleasure grounds. We also maintain large areas of formal lawns, wildflower areas, gardens surrounding the Victoria Inn and Ancient House, green space in Holkham Village, Longlands Business Park and a number of visitor car parks on the wider estate.
We are looking for two practical, effective and knowledgeable gardeners to assist with the day to day maintenance and improvement of this large garden department. You will be helping to achieve our design plans in the walled garden and will be working to ensure that the gardens, Holkham Park and wider estate are well, and appropriately, maintained.
Tasks vary on a daily basis and will include, but not be limited to:
• Communicating regularly with the Head Gardener and Gardens Supervisor and to carry out all reasonable tasks.
• Ensuring your work is carried out as part of the Gardens team and to complete assigned tasks.
• Carrying out all work to a high standard on all areas of the estate.
• Ensuring all aspects of safe working practice and health and safety legislation is adhered to at all times.
• To maintain the walled garden and be involved in implementing the long-term redevelopment of the walled garden, including extensive clearance and replanting of large areas of the site.
• To lead and direct groups of walled garden volunteers on daily assigned tasks.
The skilled gardener will have a qualification in horticulture.
Grounds Maintenance Person
• To maintain and improve of all landscape areas of the estate including Holkham Park, Holkham Village, Longlands, Model Farm and The Victoria.
• To maintain the terraces and private gardens surrounding the hall.
The successful candidates will:
• Have a real passion for gardening and a keen interest in plants.
• Have practical, hands-on garden experience, preferably within an estate environment.
• Have good basic plant knowledge and willingness to develop this.
• Hold current PA1/PA6 spray certificates.
• Have a clean driving licence.
• Be hardworking, flexible, energetic, conscientious and trustworthy.
• Have a genuine commitment to work to the highest possible standard with excellent attention to detail.
• Be good at taking direction but also be able to work under their own initiative and solve problems
• Be able to work in a team as well as stand-alone.
• Have good communication skills.
• Be diligent with regards to Health and Safety
These are full-time, permanent positions working 40 hours a week. Weekend working will be required on a rota basis.
Salary: Dependent on experience
We hope you are keen to apply and we look forward to hearing from you.