A privately owned 500 acre walled Estate set in the heart of the Surrey countryside which was developed in the Arts and Craft style some hundred years ago is seeking a Deputy Head Gardener. The Estate was purchased two years ago and the owners have set about an ambitious renovation program that encompasses the whole Estate. The extensive grounds are compromised of a parkland type landscape with small woodlands, copses and strategic plantings of trees within fields that are used as pastureland. A series of lakes are linked across the northern end of the Estate and are to be used for recreational purposes including one lake for swimming and another for trout fishing, along with 10 acres of landscaped gardens around the house.
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
This is an exciting opportunity for a knowledgeable and experienced plants person to join a newly created gardens and grounds team. A keen horticulturist you should possess excellent practical knowledge and relevant qualifications and be a true team player with good management experience.
Tasks will vary on a daily basis and will include:
Reporting to and deputising for the Head of Gardens and Grounds as required.
Ensuring the grounds and gardens are beautifully presented at all times.
Leading the gardens team on day to day tasks
Ensuring all aspects of safe working practice and health and safety legislation are adhered to.
The successful candidate will:
• Have a real passion for plants, gardens, gardening and design.
• Be hardworking, flexible, energetic, conscientious and trustworthy.
• Have practical, hands-on garden experience and be prepared to get his or her hands dirty.
• Possess great plant knowledge and a keen interest in horticultural trends, plus a good knowledge of growing cut flowers would be an advantage.
• Have formal horticultural training and experience working on private estates, with good machinery knowledge and glasshouse and protected environment skills.
• Be able to take direction but also to take the lead, be self-motivated when working individually and keen to encourage others when working as part of a team.
• Have excellent communication and organisation skills and be happy to liaise with the Family.
• Have a sound knowledge of health and safety and safe working practices.
• Possess a keen eye for detail.
• Have a clean driving licence.
• PA1/PA6 spray certificates advantageous but not essential.
This position can be live in or live out
Please send your CV with a covering letter attached by pressing the apply button