We're looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Gardener to join our team here at Sissinghurst. We are known for our exceptional grounds keeping, if you have a keen eye for detail and are an experience Gardener, please keep on reading.
What it's like to work here
Sissinghurst is a highly personal garden planned by two people whose artistry was matched by their plant knowledge and who had an individual point of view. To perpetuate a garden made by two such individuals requires gardeners not only with supreme horticultural knowledge and skill but also gardeners with vision, sensitivity and most importantly an instinctive feeling for the spirit of the place.
What you'll be doing
As a hands-on Gardener, you’ll assist in making sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard. You’ll be passionate and enthused and knowledgeable about the varied plants within the garden. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You'll be helping with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding. You’ll support with the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants. You’ll be helping to cut the hedges and mow our fine lawns. You’ll also take ownership of specific areas of the garden ensuring the highest standards are maintained and healthy plants are available for our visitors to enjoy.
You’ll also support garden volunteers and help them to make the most of their time here. You’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering the many questions, or help out with gardening workshops, tours and helping set up events when needed.
Who we are looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the below:
- Trained as a professional gardener/horticulturalist and qualified to RHS Level 2 or equivalent.
- Good knowledge of plant husbandry and horticultural techniques.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in written form.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to work methodically.
- Ability to prioritise workload.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Competence with machinery and equipment use.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety and compliance requirements
- Confidence to participate in garden activities and events.
- At least two years’ practical experience as a professional gardener or horticulturalist.