Harewood’s beautiful and historic gardens are diverse, complex and of a large scale. Their continual care, conservation, maintenance and development requires the highest standards of horticulture and plant cultivation, as well as excellent communication skills and leadership.
Under the general direction of the Head Gardener, the Senior Gardener will improve and develop the horticultural standards and enrich the planting and botanical significance of the gardens, whilst ensuring the conservation of its historic fabric and the care of its plant collections.
The Senior Gardener is responsible for the day-to-day planning and co-ordinating of all garden maintenance work and horticultural programmes across the three main areas: the Terrace Gardens, the Himalayan Garden and the Walled Garden, ensuring that Health & Safety procedures are followed at all times.
As a horticulturist and a team leader, you will lead by example and demonstrate best practice. You will work in a hands-on capacity alongside your colleagues as necessary and undertake a comprehensive range of horticultural tasks to a high standard.
Working closely with the Head Gardener, the Senior Gardener will take a lead role in promoting and implementing environmentally sustainable principles and practices in the Gardens, as well as conserving biodiversity and soil ecology.
The Senior Gardener will assist with the recruitment process and play a key role in the development of the gardens team. You will be a competent skills trainer and provide guidance, supervision and training to ensure the appropriate development of all staff, trainees and volunteers. Some aspects of the role are physically demanding and it requires working in all weathers.
The Senior Gardener will line manage a minimum of 2 full-time and 2 part-time gardeners. You will co-ordinate and manage volunteers across the Gardens and be a mentor to student placements and apprenticeship trainees.
As an ambassador for Harewood, the Senior Gardener will champion the work of the team and internally and externally promote the care, improvement and development of the gardens at all levels.
You will deliver excellent visitor experience by playing an active role in engagement, programming and learning. The Senior Gardener will also play a key role in implementing the Trust’s Masterplan.
Key Result Areas
- Assist the Head Gardener in planning and implementing work programmes for ornamental, productive and botanical horticulture across all garden areas
- Manage sections of the department budget as allocated
- Line manage and support garden staff, trainees, volunteers and student placements by providing training, mentoring and performance evaluation
- Organise and chair team meetings as required by the Head Gardener
- Assist with recruitment, team-building and resource management
- Deputise for the Head Gardener and Grounds Supervisor as required
- Work closely with the Head Gardener and take responsibility for all day-to-day work in the Terrace Gardens, Himalayan Garden and Walled Garden
- Undertake in a hands-on capacity a comprehensive range of horticultural tasks and processes to a high standard under the general direction of the Head Gardener
- Lead and develop others to deliver skilled and efficient work of a high quality
- Ensure the delivery of plant propagation & cultivation programmes, crop production and care of plant collections to consistently high standards
- Accurately label, map and record all plants for maintaining the plant database
Health & Safety
- Inspect, operate and supervise the safe and appropriate use of a range of garden machinery, tools, vehicles and equipment
- Abide by the Trust’s Health & Safety Policy, carry out Risk Assessments, COSHH Assessments and Manual Handling Assessments for all operations as necessary
- Be aware of and constantly vigilant to the risks of fire, theft and flood, and at all times observe the current instructions regarding fire and security issued by Harewood House Trust
- Ensure the safe, timely and appropriate use of pesticides, seek organic alternatives and provide optimum care for the environment and biodiversity within the garden
- Liaise with the Grounds Supervisor on establishing safe and efficient work systems and assist with collaborative teamworking as directed by the Head Gardener
- Deliver excellent visitor engagement by leading guided tours of the gardens for visitors, members and staff
- Work with the Director of Engagement and Visitor Experience on the interpretation of the gardens to provide the best possible experience for visitors
- Work with the Head of Trading to capitalise on retail opportunities in the gardens
- Establish good working relationships with internal and external clients; supply plants, kitchen garden produce and provide maintenance services as directed by the Head Gardener
- Facilitate and support learning initiatives within the gardens for all ages
- A commitment to equal opportunities and health and safety
- Actively contribute to the successful achievement of department and charity-wide goals
- Adhere to all Harewood House Trust policies and procedures
- Carry out any other duties as reasonably requested by your line manager
- Actively embody the charity’s values:
- Together - we are one team, all working together to imagine and create memorable experiences for everyone
- Adventurous - we have the courage to find new ways to inspire people with a sense of curiosity and adventure
- Caring - we care. For our collections, for our people, for our community and for our planet
- Challenging - we demand imagination and rigour in everything we do to delight and enlighten our visitors.