HEAD OF GROUNDS
RESIDENTIAL POSITION WITH TIED ACCOMMODATION
This historic school is set in a campus of over 50 acres and the Head of Grounds, who is directly responsible to the Bursar, will manage and lead a team to ensure the provision of first-class playing surfaces and sports pitches, and impeccable grounds. Also critical is the ability to contribute to, and implement a vision for the future of the campus, and a keen interest in issues of sustainability. Ultimately, the Academy is working towards the decarbonisation of the department and more organic methods of managing the site.
We are seeking candidates with strong interpersonal skills who are confident in leading a team and engaging with staff, pupils, and visitors. You will work proactively with the Bursar and other members of staff to deliver sustainable practices and increase the biodiversity of the site.
QUALIFCATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualified with an S/NVQ Level 3 in Sports Turf Management or equivalent qualification and a PA1/PA6 Certificate.
- Qualifications in sustainable methods of grounds management are desirable.
- Significant experience of working as a Head of Grounds, or equivalent, leading a team which delivers outstanding standards in sports turf maintenance, horticulture and landscaping.
- Experience of managing a significant budget.
- Experience with the relevant machinery required for the upkeep of the sports pitches, including general day-to-day maintenance of the machinery provided.
- A thorough understanding of relevant Health and Safety legislation and how to apply it.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate with a diverse range of people e.g. Senior Staff Group, school colleagues, pupils, third party users of the schools’ facilities and members of the public.
- Flexibility to be able to adapt to changing demands.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBITLIES
- Lead, motivate and develop the Grounds team to achieve their tasks, work schedules and objectives, and encourage maximum commitment and efficient service at all times.
- Provide and maintain first-class playing surfaces and sports pitches, to the highest recognised industry standards, and impeccable gardens and grounds.
- Maintain the cleanliness, tidiness and general appearance of all external areas of the Academy including gardens and roadways. Manage general waste, food waste and recycling.
- Work actively, and in a planned fashion, towards organic methods of management and decarbonising the department
- Cost-effective delivery of grounds-related services across the Academy with due regard to time, financial and compliance pressures.
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate all grounds-related work (e.g. playing fields, landscaping and grounds development projects) across the campus.
- Manage the grounds management budget which incorporates labour resources, grounds maintenance materials, external contractors’ costs, machinery maintenance, purchase of new equipment, and capital works; and prioritise spending requirements.
- Co-ordinate the negotiation, purchase, storage and control of all consumable materials, equipment and services in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant national and local regulations, including but not limited to the following: Health and Safety, First Aid, COSHH, and environment management.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of legislation relating to grounds-related chemicals and dangerous substances and actively promote safe working practices.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is an all year-round position.
A newly refurbished 3-bedroom home is provided with this role. It is a condition of employment that the Head of Grounds lives on campus. Further details will be provided during the selection process.
Full time hours for this role are 40 hours per week, however there may be a requirement for evening and weekend work.
Our support staff are automatically enrolled in the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, to which the Governors contribute the statutory level of Employer’s Contributions.
Employees whose children attend the Academy are eligible for fee remission, and details will be made available to the successful candidate.
All appointments at Dollar Academy are subject to satisfactory clearance through the Disclosure Scotland Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme. The successful candidate will be asked to make a formal application, the cost of which will be covered by the Academy.
The Academy’s Support Staff Application Form must be completed and is available to download by visiting our website. Completed application forms should be mailed to:
The Human Resources Manager, Dollar Academy, Mylne Avenue, Dollar, FK14 7DU, Clackmannanshire OR emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 26th February 2021. CVs and covering letters are optional.