Title: Deputy Head Gardener
Location: Wormsley, Stokenchurch, Buckinghamshire
Reporting to: Head Gardener
Salary: In-line with PGG guidelines
Wormsley is the private estate of the Getty Family and is located just off junction 5 of the M40 at Stokenchurch, Buckinghamshire. The Estate can trace its roots back to a first mention in the Doomsday Book of 1196 and since 1597 has been in the possession of only two families. Sir Paul Getty acquired the Estate in 1985 and embarked on a seven-year programme of renovation and improvements bringing it back to life. This included the refurbishment of most of its properties creating some wonderful Chiltern barn conversions alongside major projects such as establishing the Lake and Island in the Deer Park, the laying of the now world-famous Cricket Ground, the building of the Getty Library (with over 6,000 rare books and manuscripts) and working with Penelope Hobhouse to re-establish the two-acre Walled Garden. Since Sir Paul’s death in 2003, a further broadening of the Estate’s activities has included the expansion of the Wormsley Shoot, the creation of the Robin Snell designed 600-seat Opera Pavilion (home of Garsington Opera) and Island Pavilion and the Boundary Room which overlooks the Cricket Ground. See www.wormsley.com for more information.
The Gardens' team is expanding due to a growing events business and the need to provide care for an increasing number of gardens across the Estate. The gardens are being updated whilst remaining true to the original design briefs from the Family and the beautiful two acre Walled Garden is a showcase of the Estate offering a limited number of garden tours, high-end events and open days when cricket and opera guests come to explore the garden. The team grows vegetables, plants and cut flowers for the Family, our staff and tenants, and our expanding events business, as well as managing a further ten acres of formal gardens, follies, orchards and managed woodland.
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic plants person to join a permanent team of two gardeners and the Head Gardener who are supported by a small team of freelance gardeners, volunteers and students. A keen horticulturist with design experience, you should possess excellent practical knowledge and relevant qualifications and be a true team player with good management experience.
Tasks will vary on a daily basis and will include:
• Reporting to and deputising for the Head Gardener as required.
• Ensuring the grounds and gardens are beautifully presented at all times.
• Working with the team on designs and development plans for the gardens.
• Production of herbaceous perennial gardens.
• Undertaking garden tours and giving public talks.
• Managing volunteers and students.
• Supporting the Head Gardener with budgets and office duties.
• Ensuring all aspects of safe working practice and health and safety legislation are adhered to.
The successful candidate will:
• Have a real passion for plants, gardens, gardening and design.
• Be hardworking, flexible, energetic, conscientious and trustworthy.
• Have practical, hands-on garden experience and be prepared to get his or her hands dirty.
• Possess great plant knowledge and a keen interest in horticultural trends, plus a good knowledge of floristry and the growing of cut flowers would be an advantage.
• Have formal horticultural training and experience working on private estates, with good machinery knowledge and glasshouse and protected environment skills.
• Be able to take direction but also to take the lead, be self-motivated when working individually and keen to encourage others when working as part of a team.
• Have excellent communication and organisation skills and be happy to liaise with the Family.
• Have a sound knowledge of health and safety and safe working practices.
• Possess a keen eye for detail.
• Have a clean driving licence and access to a car as public transport is limited.
• PA1/PA6 spray certificates advantageous but not essential.
Please send your CV with a covering letter attached by pressing the apply button