To ensure the grounds on the site are safe, fit for purpose and presented to the highest standard possible at all times.
2 x full time Groundsmen
1 x part time Groundsman
- Prepare annual plan for the grounds and implement approved plan to enhance and maintain all landscape aspects of the Estate.
- Review and update planting and design schemes and source materials and plants.
- “Hands on” grounds and gardening work as required.
- Manage and lead Grounds team including conducting performance reviews and objective setting.
- Ensure Grounds team are trained and developed as appropriate.
- Ensure the Grounds team are motivated to work as a team and to be efficient and effective at all times.
- Prepare and manage annual budget and grounds plan with the Estates Manager.
- Liaise with contractors for tendering and scheduling work, ensuring the School receives value for money from contactors.
- Manage any appointed contractors, ensuring they are appropriately supervised and compliant with all necessary policies and procedures in line with the School’s Contractor Management Policy.
- Maintain equipment inventory and organise equipment maintenance and replacement as required.
Health & Safety
- Ensure all relevant Health and Safety policies and arrangements are implemented and appropriate risk assessments are written, reviewed and implemented.
- Prepare and review machinery and activity risk assessments at least annually.
- Ensure machines are maintained as required.
- Ensure the team is qualified and appropriately trained for the work they carry out
- Ensure safety checks are carried out at mandatory times eg. tree surveys, playground equipment checks.
- Identify hazards to outdoor areas caused by changing weather conditions and react appropriately ensuring the safety of pupils, staff and visitors at all times.
- Provide horticultural advice and help to other departments of the School including outdoor learning support, demonstrations and materials.
- Assist, with the rest of the grounds team, maintenance and porter teams with furniture and/or equipment moving for major events.
- Keep abreast of relevant best practice in Grounds Maintenance and landscaping.
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people, by adhering to and ensuring compliance with the School’s child protection policy.
- Assume other duties which may be reasonably required or delegated by the Estates Manager from time to time.
The role will be mix of “hands on” working with a reasonable amount of office time. This will be dependent on the seasonal changes, resource levels, School and event requirements.
The post holder will need to be flexible with their normal working hours to accommodate seasonal requirements, weather events and School events.
Normal working hours:
0800-1615 Monday – Thursday
3 Saturdays per year