Our client is seeking a Head gardener for their Surrey estate.
A fantastic opportunity has opened for a full time skilled and passionate horticulturalist to manage and develop a newly re-designed 3.5 acre garden in Kingston. The beautiful garden includes woodland areas, a kitchen garden, herbaceous borders and a swimming pool.
The right candidate will have the opportunity to work in a beautiful garden with overall management of the maintenance programme/requirements. The garden is in early stages of development so will require knowledge and understanding of how to ensure it develops in the best way possible, therefore the candidate will need excellent horticultural and plant knowledge as well as plant husbandry skills It requires someone with experience, who can work methodically on their own whilst showing initiative; they will report directly to the owner.
The successful candidate will to be an experienced and passionate gardener who is self-motivated, able to work methodically on their own and show initiative. In addition, the family are looking for a skilled Gardener who has good interpersonal and social skills, is proactive, loyal, a hard worker, gets on well with children and is reliable and trustworthy. A strong eye for detail and the ability to prioritise and manage your own workload is imperative.
- Oversee and develop a maintenance programme for all areas of the garden including; Main garden, kitchen garden, pool garden, outer garden and terraces.
- General garden maintenance will include –flowerbed preparation and maintenance, weeding; pruning, lawn care, perennial, climber and shrub management; fruit pruning and training; orchard management; topiary and hedge management; dividing and maintaining different borders, overall garden development.
- Monitor plants for pest and disease
- Pick produce when required from the kitchen garden.
- Pool Management - ensure the swimming pool is managed appropriately and kept clean and tidy.
- Property maintenance management.
- Dealing with external contractors where necessary.
- A proactive approach in ensuring the garden is looking its best at all times.
- Highlight and communicate any problems or developments
- Ensure all health and safety procedures are followed.
- Family driving required.
You will need:
- Good horticultural knowledge.
- Knowledge of seasonal variations.
- Experience of working in a large garden.
- Experience in using and driving garden machinery
- To be highly organised, self-motivated, resourceful and have efficient time management.
- A design eye.
- A clean UK Driving License
Preferable but not a necessity:
- PA1/PA6 preferable
- Industry qualifications e.g RHS Level
Hours of work: Full time (5 Days a week) 08.30 - 17.00 with 1 hour off during the day.