If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in.
You’ll love working outdoors and understand that our gardens and grounds are as significant as our mansion houses and our historical places. Our visitors tell us how much they enjoy the peace and tranquillity of our well-kept outdoor spaces, which makes your role vital in making sure they have an amazing experience.
What it's like to work here
No day is the same at busy Beningbrough Hall. Built in the 18th century, numerous occupants have changed the face of this Italian-style house and it has an intriguing story to tell. From a wealthy teenager who built this mansion and its occupation by the RAF in WWII, to the re-invention as a country house gallery. In the Garden, traditional formal borders contrast with sweeping lawns, and the restored walled garden. With a changing programme of family activities, talks and trails it’s an exciting place to be.
What you'll be doing
You’ll assist in making sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard and be passionate and enthused by plants. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You'll be helping with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding. You’ll support with the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants. You’ll be helping to cut the hedges and mow our fine lawns.
You’ll also assist garden volunteers and support and help them to make the most of their time here. You’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering the many questions, or help out with gardening workshops, tours and helping set up events when needed.
As part of this role you’ll be required to work regular weekends as part of a garden-team rota.
Please also read the full role profile attached to this advert.
Who we're looking for
- Previous practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as some knowledge of plants and horticultural techniques
- Familiarity with machinery/equipment and accompanying practical certificates
- Knowledge of Health and Safety compliance requirements
- Excellent customer service
- Willingness and enthusiasm to share the history of the garden with visitors, bringing it to life
- Commitment for what you are doing, always remaining proud of your work
- You’ll have an NVQ 1-2 in Amenity Horticulture (or equivalent).