If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in.
You’ll love working outdoors and understand that our gardens and grounds are as significant as our mansion houses and our historical places. Our visitors tell us how much they enjoy the peace and tranquillity of our well-kept outdoor spaces, which makes your role vital in making sure they have an amazing experience.
What it's like to work here
It’s an exciting time to work at the celebrated Edwardian retreat of Polesden Lacey. New areas of the property have opened to the public, making this a year-round attraction with lots of opportunities within the team. The property boasts glorious views of the surrounding Surrey Hills, as well as an impressive art collection, manicured gardens and a large National Trust Shop. Colleagues have a great team spirit with close links to the local community. This picturesque property is just four miles outside of Dorking, however you're likely to need your own transport to get here.
Everything in the garden reflects Mrs. Greville's desire to impress her guests with lavish displays, garden tours are available through the day in summer and weekends in the winter.
What you'll be doing
You’ll assist in making sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard and be passionate and enthused by plants. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You'll be helping with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding. You’ll support with the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants. You’ll be helping to cut the hedges and mow our fine lawns.
You’ll also assist garden volunteers and support and help them to make the most of their time here. You’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering the many questions, or help out with gardening workshops, tours and helping set up events when needed.
As part of this role you’ll be required to work regular weekends as part of a garden-team rota.
Please also read the full role profile attached to this advert.
Who we're looking for
The minimum criteria required for this role is:
- Previous practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as some knowledge of plants and horticultural techniques
- Familiarity with machinery/equipment and accompanying practical certificates
- Knowledge of Health and Safety compliance requirements
- Excellent customer service
- Willingness and enthusiasm to share the history of the garden with visitors, bringing it to life
- Commitment for what you are doing, always remaining proud of your work
- You’ll have an NVQ 1-2 in Amenity Horticulture (or equivalent).
Benefits for working at the National Trust:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Discounts in high street stores, cinemas, National Trust properties and cafes.
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Subsidised health cash plan
- Free 24-hour support service
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Training & Development tailored to you
- Up to 5 days of paid volunteering for you.