Job Title: Head of Nursery
Dept: Gardens and Visitor Attraction
Based at: The Newt in Somerset
Reports to: The Head Gardener
Direct Reports: Up to 4 Nursery Growers
Employment Type: Full time Permanent
Normal Hours: 5 days out of 7
Salary: Dependant on Qualifications. Up to £40000 p.a plus annual performance bonus
Annual Leave: 30 days inc Bank Hols
Head of Nursery at the Newt in Somerset
The Newt in Somerset aims to practice and demonstrate horticulture of the highest standards and the Nursery is a key part of this objective. The nursery, based at our Avalon farm, is a key part of the gardens and in many ways the heart, in terms of growing. And producing ornamental plants for seasonal displays and new planting schemes across the gardens. We also propagate and grow a selection of edible produce throughout the year, some of which is grown under cover at the nursery.
Many specialist collections are also grown at the nursery including a unique collection of cacti and succulents and large collection of citrus fruit. Over the next few years, we will be expanding the range of plants . This is an exciting time be involved in shaping the nursery’s future.
This role is perfect for a strong leader with experience in commercial horticulture.
You will have worked within a commercial growing environment before and have excellent knowledge and understanding of the propagation of ornamental plants and edible glasshouse crops.
You will be a key link between the nursery team and the other garden departments especially the edible team which you will work closely with.
Our ideal candidate will ideally have first-hand experience of working in a similar role in a busy public garden and enjoy engaging enthusiastically with visitors and guests to the garden through leading tours, workshops, talks and events.
- You will be responsible for overseeing all areas of the Nursery and be confident in leading and motiving the team.
- You will have overall accountability for ensuring that our nursery stock is grown to the highest quality.
- A strong communicator who ensures efficient working practices in all areas, including stock management and wastage.
- This is a very hands-on, outdoors role, so you must be prepared to get stuck in when needed and support the business where required.
Skills and Experience
- First-hand experience of managing a successful plant nursery at the highest level.
- Experience of growing and propagating a range of plants undercover and outside
- Experience and proven ability in the management of a team of up to 5 people.
- The ability to motivate people, good communication and interpersonal skills are essential
- Broad-ranging horticultural expertise with evidence of appropriate academic qualifications.
- A thorough, precise, and well organised individual.
- An eagerness to provide the highest level of visitor experience.
- The candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working, energetic person with excellent team working skills and the ability to communicate across all levels and adapting their style to meet individual needs.
- Act as an ambassador and expert to external audiences, the media & visitors to the estate.
- IT skills for implementing efficient management systems and records are an essential requisite.
- Full and clean UK driving license.
- PA1 & PA6 certificates desirable.
Excellent Benefits package available from day one including:
- 30% discount in the shops across the estate
- 30% discount at restaurants across the estate
- 30% discount on Newt cyder and Babylonstoren wine
- 50% discount in the Spa
- Anniversary stay in the hotel each year, Dinner bed and breakfast.
- Discounted hotel stays for staff
- Family pass to access the estate
- Entry passes for friends and family to access the estate
- Family Events 3 times per year
- Access to internal/external training qualifications and programmes
- Cross Training and career development opportunities