1. MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
Responsible for the maintenance and development of parks infrastructure, playgrounds and landscaping projects across the Borough. Design, procure, and manage varied projects, from inception through to completion. Ensure that all playgrounds and infrastructure hazards identified through regular inspections are prioritised, and managed in a timely manner.
Manage multi-disciplinary teams which may include external specialist designers, contractors and other consultants. Advise on landscape matters arising in connection with projects, including devolving briefs, scheme designs, site works, and preparing reports. Manage a variety of different budgets that relate to project and maintenance works to ensure value for money in the delivery of these projects for our clients.
2. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
Health & Safety and Environment
- Understand the law relating to Health & Safety and the Environment and observe the Company’s Integrated Management System.
- Ensure that the Project Management Service is delivered in line with idverde’s Health & Safety procedures and all relevant construction-related legislation, and that all necessary risk assessments and method statements are reviewed regularly
- Adhere to all idverde systems, processes and reporting; producing all necessary risk assessments and method statements, reporting and recording all accidents and near-misses.
- Ensure that subcontractors and consultants comply with idverde’s Health and Safety Policy, and that this has been inspected prior to their acceptance as an approved contractor.
- Play a personal role in ensuring that idverde’s Bromley contract maintains its strong and positive safety culture, where the safety of staff, volunteers and the public comes first.
Contract Delivery and Performance Management
- In conjunction with idverde senior management, contribute to the production of the Parks and Greenspace Strategy, and the production of an Annual Parks Infrastructure and Projects Plan.
- Design, procure and project manage landscape and parks play/infrastructure projects on time, within budget, and in line with any specific conditions of the funding body (e.g. specific conditions of external grants).
- Maintain an accurate and up to date planned inspection programme, run a cost-effective maintenance programme and ensure all project administration has been established according to best practice.
- Take responsibility for the capture and resolution of infrastructure issues arising from various reporting systems. Prioritising infrastructure repair projects on the grounds of (1) health and safety and (2) community preferences, within the available budget.
- Manage insurance claims relating to hard landscape or park play/infrastructure and produce reports as required.
- Produce reports for the Operational Manager, Contract Director, clients and funders as required.
- Manage the directly employed play and projects works team, delegating tasks and ensuring the effective close out of all tasks.
- Undertake such other duties that are required commensurate with the role.
Financial and Commercial Management
- Price each project with accurate cost estimates, profits and that best value is achieved for the project funder whether this be a contractual, client or external/grant funders.
- Achieve the agreed profit expectations for each project and for the delivery of the project management function as a whole.
- Procure works according to idverde’s procurement policy, utilising either idverde in-house resource or idverde approved specialist subcontractors.
- Challenge and negotiate with suppliers and subcontractors to protect the funders’ interests.
- Advise on budget costs for proposed landscape schemes and for the landscape content of other projects.
- Work with the Bromley Fundraising Manager to secure external funding and investment for infrastructure and asset improvements and the development of the Borough’s parks, commons, woodlands, countryside and other areas of Bromley’s green landholding.
- Work with the Business Development Team to identify, price and deliver commercial landscape design and build projects for third parties in the Bromley area.
Client, Stakeholder and Customer Relationships
- Work closely with the client’s outsourced property department on the cyclical maintenance and repairs of parks property and assets that are beyond idverde’s contractual scope.
- Act as principal contact for clients of all projects within remit, keeping communication channels open, mitigating any risks and providing constant updates.
- Maintain good relationships with Friends Groups and other Community Groups, assisting them with applications for funding and the delivery of successfully funded projects
- Work closely with Community Managers to prioritise projects and/or repairs that are of greatest concern to local communities.
- Liaise with Community Managers, Friends Groups and the Fundraising/Business Development Manager’s to apply for external funding or secure additional customers.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with subcontractors and consultants.
Leadership and People Management
- Line manage the Play and Projects Supervisor, Technical Assistant and operative/s, ensuring that they have the skills and passion to deliver minor works and ad-hoc repairs in a timely fashion and to high standards.
- Demonstrate leadership whilst in the community, acting as an ambassador for the idverde service.
- Attend external seminars, workshops and meetings and represent the business as part of a project and within project guidelines.
- Assist in the selection and management of external contractors and consultants in connection with the delivery of landscape projects, all in accordance with Financial Regulations.
- Make the best possible use of existing IT systems and to propose new and innovative methods of using IT systems to manage delivery of services within the department.
- Take an active part in any cross company initiatives/project teams.
- Constantly seek to improve and change working practices to deliver best value to all clients.
3. KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Evidence of project management experience – production of drawings and specifications, creation of programmes, critical paths and milestones, procurement and programme monitoring.
- Literate at a level that enables completion of a range of tasks, some of which can be complex in order to read/write technical reports, specifications and project information.
- Numerate at a level that enables completion of a range of tasks, some of which can be complex, in order to price works accurately, carry out budget monitoring, plan projects and read and analyse pricing data.
- Computer literate at a level that enables execution of tasks, some of which can be complex, with administrative, graphic design (AutoCAD, GIS, Adobe Creative Suite) and financial software.
- Evidence of a good understanding of contract law including the various forms of construction contract currently in use for landscape and related works, and the terms and conditions of appointment commonly used for consultants.
- Experience of financial management – analysis of tenders, budgeting, cost control, financial reporting, submission of valuations, understanding of payment terms.
- Evidence of sound resourcing decisions, both from in-house resources and subcontractors, and successful management of in-house staff, subcontractors and consultants
- Demonstrable ability to exchange information concisely and intelligently, either drawn, written or verbally, with a varied audience.
- Demonstrable ability to present complex subject matter comprehensibly to a wide variety of audiences.
- Landscape Institute accredited Landscape Architecture qualification at degree and post graduate level, or landscape design qualification.
- Relevant Health & Safety qualifications – ideally IOSH – and expert knowledge of applicable legislation e.g. health and safety, construction (including Construction Design and Management Regulations), planning and environmental legislation Financial Management.
- Able to liaise with management at all levels and provide sound technical advice/opinion when requested to do so.
- Ability to challenge clients with professional technical advise when required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with a diverse range of people.
- Demonstrable aptitude to utilise information technology including spreadsheets, databases, email etc.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- Excellent at prioritising and adjusting focus where needed
- A ‘can-do’ attitude, keen to provide innovative solutions to problems as they arise and not deterred by setbacks
- Drive, energy and enthusiasm
- High levels of professional pride in the delivery of quality projects
- Accountability – taking ownership for all aspects of the projects being managed
- Full valid driving licence