Job Title: Maintenance Manager
Holiday: 28 days holiday (includes Bank Holidays)
Birthday day: All employees have their Birthday as paid holiday
Pay grade: £30,000 - £50,000/ year based on experience and qualifications
Reporting Relationships: Reporting to – Harry Holding (Director & Principal Designer). Managing – two maintenance teams, or more as and when required
Development Path: Ultimately, this post has the possibility of becoming a director.
On application, please state your expected salary'
- Bonus scheme to be discussed, aiming to implement after year one, progress dependent
- Profit share to be given to the candidate who shows a strong commitment to the company
- Company van
- All employees have their Birthday as paid holiday
Start Date: Monday 1st February
Company Mission Statement: To be the number one maintenance company in West London when looking for a high end and highly personable service with impeccable attention to detail. To develop a loyal client base through word of mouth and effective sources, increasing revenue and profit margin s without sacrificing quality. To measure and reduce our carbon footprint year on year, being valued as a sustainable net zero company by 2030 and not damaging the planet for profit.
Working with us:
We are a small team of young, keen horticulturalists and designers and we love what we do. The business has two branches - garden design and garden maintenance - meaning that the role is varied and that we are involved with a host of exciting projects, most notably we recently appeared on Channel 4’s Grand Designs.
Being a part of the team, every day is a joy – working hard to achieve our high standards and having a good laugh whilst doing so. We have a wonderful array of high end clients who we know well and who respect the work that we do.
We are looking for someone who is ready to take that next step in their career and be a key player in a rapidly growing company with endless opportunities. The right candidate will have the same tenacious motivation to get stuck into the business and our exciting projects, creating and caring for inspiring, magical gardens and will be properly recognised and rewarded for their valuable contribution.
Take a look at our Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/harryholdingdesign/
To manage and inspire the horticultural maintenance teams to deliver the highest standards held by the company. Ensure that the maintenance company is continually growing and upholding its reputation. Managing the operations so that the business operates efficiently and that systems are continually improving. Taking on all client facing roles, managing, maintaining and improving client relations. Taking a lead role in project work (soft landscaping), from quoting to implementation, and developing new streams of revenue.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Scheduling – Effective management of the garden maintenance schedules and two gardening teams, or more as required, ensuring the teams have the appropriate tools and materials for each job.
- Client liaison – Visiting sites of new clients in order to quote and provide a proposed maintenance schedule, as well as keeping in regular contact with all existing clients and arranging monthly site visits to ensure high standards are being maintained.
- Service Monitoring – Create and continually review maintenance schedules for each site. Ensure that work is carried out to a high standard and communicate with clients to see that they are satisfied with the service they are receiving. Where service levels are below acceptable standards, act immediately to remedy the situation before clients complain.
- Service Quotations & Schedules – Deal with enquiries for new work, as they arise, without delay. Visit the site, meet with clients, where possible, and draw up quotations for the work a s soon as you can, but at most within a week of visiting the site.
- Implementing Extras – Note where there are opportunities for upselling, discuss with the client plans that they might have for the site and see if we can implement. Communication with clients to ascertain seasonal planting needs. Quoting for and implementing ‘extras’, jobs over and above the normal scheduled maintenance, ie new plants for a client, ensuring these are delivered and planted accordingly.
- Project Work - Overseeing project work (eg soft landscaping / green roof installation) from initial client meetings through to quoting and implementation. Assisting with the project management of design projects being undertaken by ‘Harry Holding Garden Design Ltd’.
- Timesheets – Weekly monitoring of employees / subcontractors timesheets to ensure they are completed accurately.
- Invoicing – Ensuring you have correct information for client billing (eg recording of hours worked, materials and plants purchased and tools hired etc) and that invoices are sent to clients weekly.
- Good Awareness of Health & Safety (H&S) – Reporting and record keeping and ensuring H&S compliance of the garden maintenance teams, ensuring policies are upheld and undertaking H&S training as required.
- Recruitment - Responsible for recruiting new employees and managing existing employees’ human resources & queries. Ensuring that all new employees are properly inducted and trained to uphold the company’s standards and ethos, as set out in the company business plan. Carry out regular appraisals.
- Managing Tools & Materials – Make sure that staff have the tools and materials that they need to deliver the service efficiently and to a high standard. Ensuring stocks of materials are replenished and used efficiently, managing tools and replenishing ‘perishable’ tools, maintaining power tools creating a schedule for servicing of equipment and PAT testing.
- Supplier Relations - Maintain relationships with existing suppliers and develop / foster strong relationships with new suppliers, always looking for new products.
- Van - Manage and care for company vans, servicing / MOT when required and keeping clean to uphold company image.
- Social Media - Gathering content and implementing posts with an effective hashtag marketing plan.
- Marketing Materials / Uniform - Managing stocks and implementation of marketing materials and uniform (as set out in the uniform policy), such as t-shirts, business cards, caps, van signage etc.
- You are expected to arrive promptly for work.
- Emails should be filed regularly and responded to in an efficient and professional manner.
- We expect all staff to join in with company events and socials where possible to help build relationships with fellow team members and to build team morale.
- All staff are expected to uphold the company values.
Day to day activities:
Split of workload will vary from week to week. Initially a typical week could involve the below and will gradually move to a more office based role as the company grows:
- 2/3 days working outside on maintenance jobs (primarily in West London)
- 1/2 days working in the office (primarily working from home)
- 1 days managing teams and jobs, client meetings, quoting, managing supplies.
Qualifications and Skills:
- A recognised horticultural qualification and previous experience in horticultural and project management are essential.
- Full and clean UK driving license.
- Training and career development, within the role, is expected.
- Great communicator who can effectively listen and has the ability to follow up to internal and external emails and queries.
- Organised and proactive with good operational planning (strong project management skill set).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, you will be liaising with clients and designers so this is a key skill.
- Excellent organisational and influencing skills. Be competent at administrative tasks and have advanced PC skills including Excel, Word (or Pages) & PowerPoint, invoicing, ordering and scheduling.
- First class customer service skills
- Must be able to work on own initiative with a proactive and flexible attitude.
- The ability to be flexible to meet the needs and demands of the role.
- Excellent time management organisation and focus on ability to prioritise and multi task with clear ability to focus on detail.
- Ability to work well within a team.
- Ability to demonstrate a passion for the HH Garden Maintenance / Design brand.
- Comprehensive plant knowledge.
- Experience with power tools including pedestrian mowers, scarifiers, hedge trimers, power washers, strimmers, drills, wacker plates etc.
- Experience with irrigation systems and water features.