For over 200 years Suttons has been at the forefront of supplying quality products to gardeners throughout the UK. The company now seeks an ambitious individual to play a key role in delivering the next phase of growth for this household brand following its recent acquisition by the BVG Group.
Supplying wholesale to Garden centres and direct to consumers through the company’s own brands of Suttons, Dobies and The Organic Catalogue, the company utilises all channels of trade including Amazon, Ebay and social media to drive sales
Managing two teams despatching over 1.5 million packages p.a. of live plants, seed packets and other gardening products from two sites in Paignton Devon. This is a high volume, high speed business involving the despatch of live plants with limited shelf life, requiring an individual able to adapt to changing priorities and with an innate ability to think on their feet
The successful candidate will report directly to the Managing Director. This interesting and varied role will suit an organised, quick thinking and adaptable individual who has excellent IT and excel skills with an aptitude to understanding ERP systems in detail.
What is the role?
- Managing a team producing over 5 million packets of seed p.a. using a number of packing machines
- Overseeing the team growing over 1 million plants at the 9-acre plant nursery in Paignton
- Monitoring budget spend on labour and booking staff based on forecasted volumes
- Performing and monitoring these tasks within agreed SLAs for speed, accuracy and quality, always with cost efficiency in mind.
- Working with the Buying Team to understand phased demand in order to effectively plan despatch requirements
- Developing team members, prioritising workloads, setting objectives, regularly reviewing performance and conducting annual reviews to continually improve their performance.
- Reporting to the Board of any relevant issues affecting the organisation
- Reporting on and delivering results within approved annual staffing, capex and maintenance costs as approved by the Board
- Supporting and adhering to HR & H&S policies and procedures, including training, record keeping and audits required within the allocated areas of responsibility.
What type of person and skills?
- Experience of working as an operations manager/director
- Horticulture knowledge is desirable but not essential
- Track record of managing budgets and meeting SLAs
Salary range £60-£70K plus performance-based bonus