Since its creation in the 1930s, the award winning Savill Garden has been an inspiration for all. This natural haven of beautifully designed gardens and woodland can be enjoyed by everyone, from dedicated horticulturists to those who just want to spend a relaxing day out with family or friends.
The 35 acres of interconnected gardens include the Hidden Gardens, Spring Wood, the Summer Gardens, the New Zealand Garden, Summer Wood, The Glades, Autumn Wood and the Winter Beds. Our newly opened Visitor Centre for this incredible garden is a hub for families and visitors to enjoy and experience a world class destination and is just as beautifully managed.
Job Title: Team Leader - Savill Garden
Location: Savill Garden, Windsor Great Park
Contract Type: Permanent
Start Date: ASAP
We are currently recruiting for a Team Leader within the Savill Garden, starting as soon as possible.
The successful candidate will have proven experience in delivering appropriate direction, motivation, guidance and support along with formal qualifications at RHS Level 2 or equivalent and a diverse knowledge of horticultural techniques and solid knowledge of plant identification.
A keen eye for detail and the ability to lead by example, team oriented. For further details of the role please refer to the job profile.
To support the Supervisor and Keeper of the Gardens in the planning and scheduling of work to meet departmental objectives and targets of the team and to continue to uphold the highest horticultural standards.
Essential functions of the Job
• To assist in the overall maintenance and management of the Savill Gardens.
• To assist the Supervisor and Keeper of the Gardens in the planning and
scheduling of work to meet departmental objectives and targets.
• To support the in the delivery and implementation of improvements in efficiencies and working practices across the Gardens Department.
• To give guidance to team and ensure safe systems of work are being observed especially in regard to risk assessments.
• To identify and implement training programmes within the team.
• In the absence of the Supervisor supervise and provide effective direction and support to the team.
• In the absence of the Supervisor liaise directly with the Keeper of the Gardens with regard to the scheduling and completion of all works.
• To conduct all duties in a professional and safe manner with due reference to relevant risk assessments and safe systems of work;
• To ensure all sites are maintained to the highest standards at all times.
• To agree on the appropriate plant, machinery and equipment for any given task with the Supervisor.
• To ensure all machinery is kept clean and maintained after use.
• To undertake a wide range of horticultural maintenance and landscape
• To liaise directly with the Fleet Lead to ensure machinery and equipment is
serviced and maintained.
• To ensure that all interactions with visitors are conducted in a courteous and professional manner and to represent the best interests of the Crown Estate at all times.
• Formal Qualifications – RHS Level 2 Certificate in Horticulture or equivalent;
• A diverse knowledge of horticultural techniques;
• A solid knowledge of plant identification;
• Proven practical experience in horticulture;
• A practical knowledge of tool and machinery use and maintenance;
• PA1 and PA6 Certificates;
• Recent relevant experience in leading a team in a similar environment;
• Relevant knowledge of machinery and equipment;
• An understanding of modern health and safety management systems
including the importance of risk assessments, manual handling assessments and COSHH assessments;
• Valid current driving licence;
• Provide appropriate direction, motivation, guidance and support;
• Effective communication skills;
• Team oriented;
• Able to lead by example and demonstrate how tasks should be carried out;
• Delivers high quality and safe working practices;
• Ability to effectively problem solve;
• Reliable and a good time-keeper;
Please apply via the link below with your CV and covering letter. Once our advert has closed on the below date, we will telephone relevant candidates to discuss the role in more detail.
We have two stages of interviews planned for this role, the first likely to be conducted over Skype/telephone.