Private Estate near Reading, Berkshire requires a Full-time Gardener
This is an exciting opportunity for a gardener to integrate into our garden team at Folly Farm. We are looking for a skilled and enthusiastic person who can turn their hand to all horticultural tasks to join us as we strive to present an immaculate garden using best horticultural practices alongside an organic-based philosophy.
This 30-acre, historic estate originally designed by Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll has been revitalised by Dan Pearson and could be considered as one of the finest private gardens in the UK. Our team requires a keen and enthusiastic person to work in all areas of the garden and perform a wide range of horticultural tasks. The Gardens consist of Formal areas with a series of garden rooms and courtyards including a Sunken Pool Garden, Spring Garden, Flower Parterre and Raised White Garden. In the Walled Garden, we grow a wide variety of fruit, vegetables and cut flowers within a beautifully designed space. The Landscape consists of fine and amenity lawns, wildflower meadows and developing woodlands
The successful candidate must be keen, energetic and flexible in their approach and continue to develop their skills. Although we are a private estate, we present the garden each year to a limited number of garden tours for charity so high standards must be met throughout the year.
The successful candidate will need the following:
- Current full UK Driving License
- Level two qualification in Horticulture or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years full-time experience, training or equivalent.
- To be physically fit and able to produce and maintain a high standard of work
- Competent in the use, maintenance and H&S issues of a wide range of horticultural machinery and tools including ladders and lawnmowers.
- An ability to work autonomously and to take responsibility for their own schedules as the work becomes routine.
- An eagerness to learn more to develop skills and knowledge.
- Broad range of basic horticultural knowledge and skills.
- Be able to assist with occasional extra duties around the estate such as clearing water courses, fencing and moving furniture for events.
Competitive salary, incentive scheme and flexible benefit package which includes 26 days annual leave, medical, life and accident cover and company pension.