Titsey Place is a privately owned manor house on a large rural estate near Oxted, Surrey. The house is surrounded by 15 acres of historic gardens including a Victorian walled garden, rose garden, formal gardens, lakes, orchards, terraces and woodland. Titsey Place is open to the public during the summer months and the gardens are an impressive and key attraction for our visitors.
We are looking for a knowledgeable, hardworking and capable Head Gardener to lead a team of three full time gardeners (and one seasonal gardener) to manage the gardens to a very high standard for the enjoyment of our visitors and resident family.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the management of:
- General garden maintenance
- Turf management
- Glasshouse management
- Seasonal bedding displays
- Vegetable and fruit growing
- Routine garden machinery maintenance
- Limited woodland and chain saw work
- Herbaceous borders
- Assisting with management of the Public Opening
We are looking for a candidate with the following key attributes:
- Horticultural qualification
- Experience in leadership and team management
- Well organised and able to manage and maintain gardens to seasonal requirements
- Good admin and record keeping skills
- Good communication skills
- Hands on all-weather gardener
- PA1 and PA6 spraying qualifications
The usual hours of work are 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Monday to Friday with 1 hour for lunch and two half an hour tea-breaks, usually taken mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Also one week-end (5 hour day) per month. The successful candidate will be entitled to 25 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays. The holiday year is from 1 January to 31 December.
Salary: A competitive salary will be paid, subject to experience.
Accommodation will be provided in an attractive Estate cottage.