About the role
Grounds maintenance services delivered through the wider Street Scene team are focused on providing quality and safe green space to the local communities. With a number of Green Flag status parks, we work closely with our Council colleagues to deliver the operational services in line with park management plans.
The successful candidate will be forward thinking, have excellent leadership qualities and skills to deliver consistently high-quality grounds maintenance services.
Whilst this role reports into the Street Scene Manager, the role holder will be the horticultural and grounds specialist for the council and the "go to" person across the service.
The services span a wide area and the role requires the ability to be reactive at all times within a fast paced and challenging setting, taking ownership of ensuring that escalated risks are dealt with promptly and appropriate training is delivered.
Whilst the role focuses on the current services being delivered this role holder will be fundamental in forward planning and working with the wider management team to delivery service improvements and efficiencies.
The role will be responsible for the following:
- Responsible for the delivery of day to day high risk ground maintenance operations to industry best practice and safe working procedures and legislation (IOSH, NEBOSH desirable).
- Responsible for planning, organising and co-ordinating the whole grounds maintenance workload among a team of skilled operatives, ensuring there is a balance between planned and reactional work.
- Managing Health and Safety - Accountable for completing regular risk assessments and producing safe systems of work. Provide ongoing training to the team to ensure that they skills and knowledge remain current, challenging and investigating breaches to a high level.
- Development and delivery of tailored training packages ensuring they remain up to date and in line with appropriate legislation.
- Provide effective leadership, support and guidance to a team of skilled operatives, including proactive performance management that includes field based monitoring of work standards across Aylesbury Vale.
- Be the lead advisor to the Council for grounds maintenance management and compliance, ensuring that strong external networks are established and maintained that ensure best practice is implemented.
- Undertake procurement activities for specialist vehicles and equipment.
The role holder will be a specialist and have significant and broad technical experience in horticulture and will be competent in leading and guiding a team of skilled grounds and horticultural operatives to ensure that the that ensure the in-house services are delivered to high standard.
The successful candidate needs to have both technical and practical knowledge of a complex horticultural and grounds maintenance services.
You must have experience of using a wide range of specialist equipment and the skillsets to communicate effectively in a management and training environment.
You will have strong people management skills, managing a diverse team which works remotely.
The role will closed on midnight Thursday 12th Nov, and interview will take place W/C 16th Nov.
For more information please contact the Street Scene Manager on 01296 585506.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy once we have received sufficient applications, so please be advised to submit your application as early as possible.
About the Business Unit
Our Communities directorate work across the county to deliver a number of the key customer facing services that our residents, businesses and visitors rely on every day. This includes collecting and disposing of waste, maintaining highways and managing country parks, leisure facilities, museums, theatres and libraries, as well as developing our cultural strategy. The customer is central to how we develop and deliver all of these services, which help promote our rich and vibrant culture.
We are looking for enthusiastic, ambitious and committed individuals to join our team and help make Buckinghamshire a great place to live, work and visit. This is an exciting time for us, as we bring together many of the place based services that have previously been run by different authorities. We manage services through a combination of direct delivery, contract management and commissioning, as well as through our key partnerships. As part of the function, you will join us on our journey of continuous improvement. Whether that's through developing strategies and ways of working, or delivering services on the ground - every person in Communities is a valued member of the team.
We recognise and reward you
Hard work and success deserves recognition. That's why we pride ourselves on the benefits we give our people. We actively encourage a good work-life balance and promote flexible and agile working arrangements. We provide discounts on various Cafés, restaurants, shops and auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme. We also offer a salary sacrifice personal car lease scheme and the opportunity to gain membership to Costco. We have discounted gym memberships, Travel discounts with Arriva and Chiltern Railways and much more.