An experienced and skilled head gardener is sought for a beautiful, privately owned country estate. The established grounds consists of over 80 acres of formal gardens, open parkland, woodland, ponds, tennis court, football pitch, swimming pool and hot tub .
The head gardener (with assistance from a junior gardener) will be responsible for maintaining all areas of the gardens and grounds as well as the general upkeep of the hard landscaping. The gardens are currently well maintained but there is room for the new gardener to have significant input in making seasonal decisions. The successful candidate should be capable of maintaining the whole estate and should be competent in DIY (including painting and repairs) and pool and spa maintenance.
The estate is occasionally rented out through a third party for events so good planning and communication skills are required to assist with these events.
Duties will include:
- Lawn care
- Tree maintenance/loping
- Hedge cutting
- Leaf blowing
- Machinery maintenance
- Hard landscaping, fencing, in house projects (including occasional basic internal decorating in the winter)
- Routine swimming pool and hot tub maintenance
The candidate should :
- be presentable and organised with strong attention to detail
- be flexible and adaptable to juggle a range of different tasks and to work extra hours when required to meet deadlines.
- be physically fit as this is a hands-on and active role.
- have excellent communication skills (fluent written and spoken English essential).
- have chainsaw, PA1/6, first aid qualifications
- hold a full driving licence
- have experience using and maintaining garden and agricultural machinery.
- have discretion and keep the affairs of the family and guests confidential.