To oversee the building and crop management of GW Pharmaceuticals research glasshouse facility. To manage, train and develop all horticultural technicians within the glasshouse. To closely liaise with the plant breeding team and other members of Botanical Research regard execution of trials.
- Overall management of senior horticulturalists
- Floor management of glasshouse complex
- Maintenance of records pertaining to plants
- Ensuring glasshouse work is conducted according to SOPs
- Writing and updating SOPs
- Delegation and supervision of:
(a) Organisation purchase and deployment of biological control Maintenance, care and record checks on genetic library stocks Procurement and documentation of growing media and equipment Research trials and recording or results according to standards set by the plant breeding team
- To liaise with all relevant parties during the preparation and execution for glasshouse trials. To organize the available glasshouse facilities and staff resources in a way which maximizes the number of trials conducted.
- Highlight any areas of process improvement and assist with their implementation with support for Operation Excellence
- To make sure research trials are conducted to the specification requested by the plant breeding team, and plants are grown in a uniform manner.
- Ensure good plant husbandry techniques are adopted and maintained by the entire horticultural team
- To ensure all plants are correctly labelled, and their cultivation and movement history is correctly documented.
- To monitor plants on a daily basis for signs of pest, disease and abiotic stress and ensure procedures for the mitigation/remediation are followed
- Oversea correct ordering and application of biological controls
Harvesting & post-harvest
- Ensure agronomical assessment of crops are completed correctly
- Ensure rapid turnaround of benches and drying facilities ready for next trial
- To ensure all materials relating to both internal and external research trials and correctly logged and stored, and details relating to batch numbers etc are correct.
Management and supply genetic resources
- Fastidious monitoring of the maintenance of live clone collection with the glasshouse ensuring breeding and production lines are correctly preserved
- Managing the supply of production mothers to commercial growers
- Routine monitoring of glasshouse to quickly identify any breakages or malfunctioning.
- Liaising with Engineering to ensure rapid resolution of any maintenance issues relating to the glasshouse or plant and machinery.
- Provide out-of-hours support for any critical incidents relating to glasshouse function and security.
- Operates in accordance with the GW corporate values of being patient driven, passionate, innovative, collaborative, accountable, having integrity and achieving excellence
- Works in accordance with the systems in place with regards to health & safety, security and the environment
- Education to Bachelor’s level of equivalent in a horticultural subject
- Experience of managing a glasshouse facility
- Understanding of horticultural management systems
- Experience of managing a team
- Excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrates a pragmatic and flexible, “can do” approach
- Ability to ensure delegated tasks are conducted to a uniform standard
- Good organisational and communication skills
- Computer literacy, with ability to use Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and horticultural management systems
- Experience with crop irrigation/fertigation systems
- Experience in a research glasshouse facility
- Experience with use of digital tools for glasshouse planning, phenotyping and barcoded traceability
- Experience with clonal propagation of plants via cuttings
- Fork-lift truck licence