The Newt in Somerset Head Gardener
Please view our website: www.thenewtinsomerset.com.
The Newt in Somerset wants to become the most exciting garden in England.
We are now recruiting a Head Gardener to lead this.
The gardens are nestled within an innovative visitor attraction, which includes a museum of gardening history, a restaurant and hotel. We are open to the public all year round and receive over 100,000 visitors.
Hadspen estate have evolved over three centuries, and we pay homage to this history. The diverse landscape includes ancient woodland, formal ornamental gardens, fruit trees and edible gardens, along with extensive nurseries in new greenhouses. We celebrate every facet of this complex landscape and are determined to build a sustainable attraction.
Our successful candidate needs the skill to manage a team of 30 gardeners of varied expertise. You will have enthusiasm to inspire, and the ability to present to an audience and to the media. Advanced horticultural training and experience of running a large garden are vital, but most of all, you will have a love of plants and sticking your fingers into the soil. This is a senior management role responsible for leading the garden planning, implementation, oversight, and reporting.
Skills and Experience
- Enthusiasm to provide the best visitor experience in England.
- Experience of managing a successful garden at the highest level.
- Ability to motivate and manage of a team of 30.
- Horticultural expertise, with academic qualifications.
- Hard-working, energetic, with excellent team building skills.
- The personality to communicate well with external audiences and the media.
- A well-organised individual.
- Adequate IT skills.
- Clean UK driving license.
Benefits: Excellent benefits package, including:
- The opportunity to build the most exciting garden in England
- Exceptional working environment
- Annual performance bonus
- Fresh estate grown meal daily
- 30% discount in shops and restaurants across the estate, as well as on Newt cyder and Babylonstoren wine
- 50 % discount in the Spa
- Discounted hotel stays and spa treatments
- Family pass to access the estate, entry passes for friends and family
- International travel annually
- Access to internal/external training qualifications and programmes
- Career development opportunities