Experienced Gardener (Live out)
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an Experienced Gardener to join the small team on a historic estate near Tetbury in the Cotswolds. This role would suit a well-rounded gardener with at least 3-years’ experience on private estates and/or horticulturally diverse gardens. The property owners have worked with renowned garden designer Tom Stuart-Smith to rejuvenate garden, which is now a stunning and rewarding place to work from a horticultural perspective.
Applicants for this vacancy should have demonstrable experience in each of the areas listed below. Experience in chemical-free gardening and plant pest/disease control is required as the garden is largely run organically. The position is an excellent opportunity to work under a knowledgeable Head Gardener within a small team on a hands-on, full-time basis, and to increase your existing skills in a beautiful garden.
The successful candidate will be physically fit, have experience with herbaceous borders, kitchen gardening, cut flowers, and must be well-versed in glasshouse and plant propagation. Competence in the safe operation of common garden machinery is essential. A full driving licence is required for the commute to and from the rurally located estate.
Typical duties will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- General garden maintenance and management of all plantings.
- Seasonal bulb planting
- Pruning of shrubs, plants and topiary
- Assisting with greenhouse management and maintenance
- Assisting with irrigation systems and water features
- Weed control through organic means where possible
- Assisting with management of composting of waste on site
- Pest and disease control through organic methods
- Assisting with the provision of cut flowers, fruit and vegetables for the house and occasionally a London property.
Other estate duties to are likely to include maintenance of drives, paths, terraces, garden sculptures, drains, garden furniture and assisting with maintenance of all garden machinery.
Applicants for this role should have experience in each of the above areas and must be willing to learn new aspects of the garden as they arise. Standard working hours are Monday to Friday, with 40-hours/week being expected, however some flexibility may be required at times to reflect seasonal demands. The position is offered with 28-days holiday per annum (including Bank Holidays).