2 days left
- Contract Type
We are looking to recruit a Head Gardener with the drive, enthusiasm and talent to carry out an exciting seven-year plan to continue the renovation of our beautiful gardens. This is the ideal role for an existing head gardener or an experienced and ambitious gardener looking for their first head gardener role.
Lords of the Manor is the Cotswold’s finest luxury hotel with four AA red stars and a multi-award winning chef. Nestled in 8 acres of grounds, the garden is an integral part of our vision and future as a business. Over the last 9 years, we have worked with an eight-time Chelsea Gold Medal winning designer to improve and enhance the garden and are now seeking a talented head gardener to maintain this upward trajectory.
The garden features hedges, formal lawns, herbaceous and mixed borders, a bog garden and a walled garden with glasshouse and top fruit. The grounds also include a high quality native meadow bordering the River Eye, a lake and beautiful views out to the Cotswolds countryside.
The Head Gardener has a high level of autonomy and responsibility and will be expected to plan and undertake the maintenance work of the garden, care of machinery and tools, planting design for annual and permanent display, all ordering and procurement as well as organising and carrying out improvement projects. The Head Gardener is also involved in guest experience, promotion and events, e.g. delivering tours and taking part in social media. Targets over the next seven years include border and planting renovation, increasing edible and cut flower production, the creation of a new compost area, tree removal and replanting, an overhaul of the lawns including installation of imowers, re-laying paths and other hardscaping.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, energetic and creative with excellent practical skills in all aspects of garden maintenance. This should be supported by good plant knowledge, a relevant academic horticultural qualification and proven horticultural experience.
The Head Gardener reports to the General Manager and the hotel’s owners and will be responsible for managing and training one Assistant Gardener.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Planning and undertaking all practical work
- Responsible for the maintenance of all machinery and associated record-keeping
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with health and safety regulation
- Responsible for sourcing and ordering materials within a monthly budget
- Responsible for representing and integrating the garden within the business
- Supporting the delivery of high quality guest experience
Skills and Experience
- RHS Level 3 or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ practical gardening experience including border and lawn care, propagation and glasshouse management and IPM, meadow management and understanding of tree safety
- PA1/PA6 spraying certificate
- Experienced in using a range of machinery including lawnmowers, hedge cutters, strimmers, front-loading tractor and trailer
- Experience of work planning and garden management
- Experience of people management and coaching
- Self-motivated and driven with excellent organisational abilities and a strong sense of initiative
- Good communication skills, confident in delivering tours and experienced in providing customer service. Experience of working in a public garden and/or with a range of stakeholders would be an advantage
- Knowledge of health and safety legislation and experience of completing associated paperwork
- IT skills for implementing efficient management systems and records
- Full and clean UK driving license.
Terms and Conditions
- 37.5 hour week Monday- Friday as standard with occasional weekend work when required for seasonal work and occasional events
- 20 days holiday plus bank holidays increasing to 25 days after 3 years’ service
- Salary £27,000-£29,000
- Generous staff discount on rooms, food and drink
- Employer pension
Interviews will commence the week of 2nd December
Apply for Head Gardener
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly