Head Gardener - Live In
Head Gardener – live in
A wonderful opportunity for an enthusiastic, skilled and hands on head gardener to lead a small team on a private estate in Cheshire. The estate is privately owned and has a Grade 1 listed Hall. The grounds surrounding the Hall comprise 65 acres and include; formal gardens, a maze, parterre, rose garden, lawns, Walled garden and woodlands.
The Head Gardener will report to the owner and will have a hands-on role in the daily care and continuous development of the garden.
The successful candidate must be enthusiastic, highly organised, physically fit and willing to work autonomously. They must be self-motivated, passionate and take pride in their work, whilst being able to identify and prioritise their time and that of 2 other estate/gardens staff.
A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a head gardener on a private estate is requested, with a horticultural qualification essential - RHS level 3 or higher and excellent plant identification skills. A good level of health and safety knowledge is important, competency in the operation and basic maintenance of garden machinery is needed too. They will be able to identify a wide range of plants, pests and diseases, together with knowledge of their requirements to thrive.
Duties and responsibilities
- Maintain and enhance all garden areas of the estate.
- Responsible for managing the gardening team, including volunteers.
- Ensure the gardens team work in a safe, secure and compliant environment whilst fulfilling health and safety obligations, including appropriate use of PPE.
- Ensure all garden machinery is properly serviced and maintained at all times and is safe to use.
- Consult regularly (annually and as required) with a tree surgeon to ensure all trees are in a safe condition.
- Take an active role in design, improvement and development of the gardens.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Significant practical experience in horticulture, supported by appropriate qualifications to RHS level 3 (or equivalent level of vocational experience).
- PA1 and PA6 – Spraying
- Chain saw certificates – CS30 CS31 and CS32
- Qualified NPTC for Compact Tractor, Trailer, Quad bike, Hedge Cutters
- Good level of plantsmanship/plant husbandry skills. Knowledge of a range of horticultural techniques covering a varied range of plant types.
- Leadership skills including coaching, team development, motivation and communication.
- Good written and verbal communication skills including public presentation.
- Experience in managing small contracts and projects.
- Must be able to drive and have a clean driving license.
Hours: 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday (although the head gardener will be required to have some seasonal flexibility)
Holidays: 20 days per annum, rising to a maximum of 25 days.
Accommodation: a 2/3-bedroom cottage with its own garden, is located on the estate, within a short walking distance of the main house. Council tax covered by the employer, with the successful candidate being liable for their utility bills.
Salary: Negotiable for the right person
To apply please email CV with covering letter by clicking on the 'Apply' button at the top or bottom of this advert
Apply for Head Gardener - Live In
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly