Area Director United Kingdom and Northern Area (UKNA)
AREA DIRECTOR UNITED KINGDOM AND NORTHERN AREA (UKNA)
Location: Head Office, Maidenhead
Function Area: Operations – UKNA
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours of Work: 37 per week Mon-Fri. Office based with UK travel
Salary: £60,000 + depending upon experience
About the Role:
As a global organisation, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) operates in over 150 countries and territories tending and conserving the cemeteries and memorials of men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died in the First and Second World Wars.
We have divided our operational activities into 6 geographical areas reporting to the Director of Operations. This role is to lead the core operational activities in UK and Northern Europe area, which has approx. 12,000 locations. Aside from our iconic UK sites, most of the graves we look after are located within local cemeteries, therefore previous experience of working with the local authorities would be desirable.
You will lead a team of approx. 100 staff. The HO team are specialist managers and support personnel, however most of the team are field based gardeners and maintenance workers spread across the UK. We also have a new rapidly growing group of enthusiastic volunteer supporters that help us to clean some of our scattered headstones. As the Area Director you will need to have proven man management experience to manage this diverse team, as well as skills in change management to lead improved ways of delivering the service that we give.
The budget management responsibility is approx. 7 million. The nature of our work means that there is additional capital and ad-hoc projects to conserve our sites, therefore accurate planning, working with external contractors and multiple stakeholders are essential elements of the role.
Area Directors, as part of the Senior Management Team, are expected to work closely and collaboratively within the team to proactively contribute to achieving our corporate plan, aims and objectives.
What We Can Offer you:
- 30 days annual leave
- Paid public holidays, one paid ‘privilege day’, plus paid office shutdown for the afternoon of Maundy Thursday and between Christmas and New Year
- Generous ‘Penson Quality Mark’ Pension, with CWGC contributing up to 13% of gross salary
- Life Assurance
- Generous Sick Pay and Enhance Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Pay
- Additional benefits including cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, shopping discounts and free eye tests
- Professional subscriptions where relevant
- Experience of successful leadership and management at a senior level
- Practical experience of leading significant operational projects either in horticultural/ construction/cemetery management disciplines
- Previous experience of implementing risk management and H&S controls
- Budget, Project and Resource management skills
- Demonstrable experience of developing strategic relationships
- Acts with integrity and high ethical standards
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Problem solver, with the ability to make decisions
- A recognised technical/management qualification (Degree or equivalent)
Please see attached Job and Person Specification for more details.
How to Apply: Please send your CV, cover letter and completed application form to the link provided when clicking the 'Apply' button at the top or bottom of the page.
Closing Date: 31st October 2019
Interviews: To be held on 22 or 25 November 2019
Apply for Area Director United Kingdom and Northern Area (UKNA)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly