Head of Kitchen Gardens
About The Newt in Somerset
As custodians of The Newt in Somerset, we are busy restoring the historic buildings and landscape of the Estate. The gardens associated with Hadspen House, which were once a much-respected visitor garden, recently reopened to the public. Visitor attractions include garden tours, cider making, farm shop, café and estate walks. A garden museum is being built. Hadspen House and the historic farm buildings surrounding it will shortly open as a new luxury hotel and spa. It is anticipated that the Estate will attract some 100,000 visitors per year and in time become one of the region’s most popular destinations.
Please also see www.thenewtinsomerset.com
We are seeking Head of Productive Gardens to be responsible for the Estate’s productive growing operations across multiple areas including main public kitchen garden, hotel kitchen garden, market garden, mushroom house and several greenhouses. He or she will be an accomplished, expert grower having successfully run a similar scale of productive garden or commercial growing enterprise. The candidate will ideally have first-hand experience of doing so in a busy public garden and enjoy engaging enthusiastically with visitors and guests to the garden through leading tours, workshops, talks and events.
The productive gardens work closely alongside our hotel and Garden Café chefs to supply fresh seasonal produce to all of the food outlets on the Estate as well as the Farm Shop, focussing on high quality as well as the interesting, unusual or locally relevant.
The Newt in Somerset aims to practice and demonstrate horticulture of the highest standards and the productive garden is central to that objective.
Whilst being very much a hands-on role, the Head of Productive Gardens is responsible for a small team of permanent gardeners as well as part time pickers/harvesters and interns.
Skills and Experience
- First hand experience of managing a successful productive garden at the highest level.
- Experience and proven ability in the management of a team of up to 10 people.
- Broad-ranging horticultural expertise & evidence of appropriate academic qualifications.
- A thorough, precise and well organised individual.
- An eagerness to provide the highest level of visitor experience.
- The candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working, energetic person with excellent team working skills and the ability to communicate across all levels and adapting their style to meet individual needs.
- Act as an ambassador and expert to external audiences, the media & visitors.
- IT skills for implementing efficient management systems and records are essential. Full and clean UK driving license.
Terms and Conditions
- Competitive remuneration package up to £35,000 p.a. to be discussed with short listed candidates.
- Professional membership and reasonable professional development and training costs covered.
- Work place pension scheme