Plant Nursery & Garden Centre Team Leader – Senior Vocational Skills Instructor
- Contract Type
Workbridge offers a vocational pathway for people with mental illness, learning disabilities, ASD and brain injuries, in which they can gain skills and build confidence. We offer a unique environment, allowing our service users to develop their skills in a supported setting that is open to the public. Our service users learn work and life skills that are not only meaningful, but also essential to the day-to-day running of Workbridge.
A bit about the role
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to lead our small team of instructors in our established Garden Centre to cover long term sickness on a fixed term basis. The role of Senior Vocational Skills Instructor – Plant Nursery & Garden Centre Team Leader (SVSI) is to plan the seasonal and daily activity of the plant nursery and garden centre, including liaising with suppliers. Alongside their instructor colleagues, the SVSI supports service users in undertaking all aspects of plant nursery and garden centre tasks, whilst ensuring service users achieve their individual goals and gain transferable skills in a real life work environment. The SVSI works as part of a wider team of colleagues and service users to grow and care for stock, and sell it to customers in our garden centre. The SVSI supports the achievement of service user goals through positive role modelling and working alongside service users, whilst focusing on the needs of the department at all times. Supporting the development of staff is a key part of the role.
Key responsibilities include:
- Planning the seasonal and daily activity of the department and leading a small team of Vocational Skills Instructors to achieve these tasks
- Supporting service users to achieve their goals through the delivery of meaningful activity, graded to the ability of the service user, that also meets the needs of the garden centre and its customers
- Contributing to the achievement of set income targets by:
- planning stock production and placing orders with suppliers
- growing and caring for plant stock and teaching colleagues and service users how to do so effectively
- carrying out garden centre opening and closing tasks, customer transactions and cashing up procedures
- creating and maintaining engaging and fully stocked sales displays
- encouraging repeat custom through the delivery of effective customer service, providing advice, assisting customers and exceeding their expectations whenever possible
- Contributing to the ongoing assessment of service user progress by liaising with colleagues, referrers and care teams and through the daily writing of notes and regular formal reviews
- Promoting independence, self-esteem, trust and teamwork for our service users through positive role modelling and encouragement
- Collaborating with colleagues from across the Charity to support service users’ needs and to develop products that enhance our customer offering
- Supporting the team of Vocational Skills Instructors with regards regular supervision, approval of annual leave and training
Who are we looking for?
We are hoping to hear from people with proven leadership skills, sound horticultural knowledge, and a desire to support the development and progress of others. This role is ideal for someone who would like to take the next step in developing their commercial horticulture career. The role will suit someone who likes to work outdoors and enjoys variety in their working day. Some commercial sense is essential, as is the ability to work autonomously or as part of a team. The working days are Tuesday – Saturday. Horticultural knowledge is essential, as is experience of leading a small team.
We are also looking for a highly motivated individual to complete our small team of instructors. The role of a Vocational Skills Instructor - Garden Centre (VSI) is to support service users in undertaking all aspects of plant nursery and garden centre tasks, whilst ensuring service users achieve their individual goals and gain transferable skills in a real life work environment.
(Fixed Term 6-12 Months Contract. 6 months Minimum, with the possibility of extending to 12 months)
Closing date: Sunday 22nd September 2019