We are looking for a skilled, enthusiastic, hard working and hands on gardener to join us at our large and beautiful garden at our historic country home on the borders of Kent and East Sussex.
The gardens cover several acres, and include:
- A fountain garden
- Two rose gardens
- Walled garden
- Contemporary and traditional gardens
- A rose pergola
- Two herbaceous boarders
- Yew hedges
The successful candidate should love gardening, and should have at least 5 years’ experience and full training or the equivalent. He/she must be physically fit and strong, energetic and able to work autonomously, although not alone.
The successful candidate will need:
- a full knowledge of all aspects of gardening and plants, including propagating, pests, diseases, pruning, and hedge cutting amongst others.
- He/she should be flexible, self-motivated, open to new ideas, have a can-do attitude and be prepared to assist with other duties from time to time on the estate, eg fencing, moving furniture for events as necessary and other estate duties.
- Also he/she should want to be a part of further developing and designing these gardens.
- Competence with machinery/equipment use and maintenance, including tractors, chain saws, and pedestrian mowers with accreditation for health and safety compliance and a general knowledge of Health and Safety requirements are necessary.
- A spray licence and a chain saw qualification are desirable
Horticultural qualifications or the equivalent are essential, with a good knowledge of plants, pests, diseases ad how to deal with them.
28 days holiday per annum, to include the Bank holidays.
Salary is competitive and there is a contribution to a pension.
It is a full time job, Mon-Fri with occasional Saturdays.
Although this is a much-loved family home, we have weddings and other events here, and so the successful candidate should be able to interact with guests easily when necessary.