Horticulture Internship (1-Year Full Time)
The opportunity is with a large well known /historic estate which contains a series of gardens types, ranging from a large rockery, aquatic environments, potager and woodlands.
Based in Henley, you will be working directly with the gardening team on who have around 120 years of experience in their field. Interns will rotate through the various gardens on a regular basis assisting with garden maintenance tasks, including but not limited to: weeding, watering, planting, pruning, etc. In addition, interns gain valuable hands on experience working with the gardening team and learning specific gardening techniques from garden staff. Interns may complete a project related to their particular field of study or one of specific need of the gardens.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who has finished their studies or have previously worked full time in another field and are in the process of changing careers. Successful candidates will be expected to showcase a professional, friendly, and helpful attitude while completing garden tasks in a timely and quality manner. Candidates are expected to work in all tolerable weather conditions and be in good physical health.
- The successful intern will immerse themselves in the following areas:
- Ornamental gardening, including planting, mulching, weeding, staking, dead-heading, pruning, watering, pest identification and integrated pest management, plant identification, and developing knowledge of plant, design, and material needs
- General maintenance of gardens, horticulture buildings, and equipment, including raking, sweeping, cleaning, sharpening, and repairs as needed
- Propagation/Production, including collection, storage, and sowing of seed, cuttings, transplanting, watering, additional plant care, and greenhouse management
- Other departmental and/or organizational duties as needed (e.g., special events, etc.)
You will have:
- Completed relevant studies or be part way through advanced studies or are studying having changed career
- Good communication skills with ability to work as part of a team
- Must be enthusiastic about plants, conscientious of the environment, and be willing to participate in all horticulture practices.
- Be able to work according to safe working practices.
- Ability to perform physical labour daily