Gardener (Part time)
The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple has one of the most distinguished gardens in London. Located on the Embankment in the City of London, our award-winning gardens comprise courtyards, borders, trees, lawns and public spaces over three acres within the historic estate of this Inn of Court. The succession planting in its deep herbaceous borders have won widespread praise, and its reputation attracts visitors from around the world.
We are now looking for a qualified and experienced Gardener who wishes to be part of our team.
The Gardener’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the professional maintenance of the Garden and courtyards, including the ornamental areas, lawns, trees, containers and other horticultural features, to high horticultural standards.
- Undertaking all garden maintenance tasks at a commercial pace, either under direction or without supervision, including (but not exclusively limited to) weeding, planting, border maintenance, watering, mulching, leaf-collecting, and assisting in the application of pesticides, herbicides and fertilisers.
- Using and maintaining tools and machinery following Health & Safety guidelines, including pedestrian mower, compact tractor with attachments and ride-on mower, leaf-blower, hedge cutters and cultivator.
- Assisting with private garden hires and public garden events.
- Weekend watering duties throughout the summer months.
- Helping with garden correspondence and admin including emails; social media (Instagram); Machinery checks and other paperwork including garden records.
Requirements for the role of Gardener:
- Minimum of 18 months professional horticultural work experience in a public or private Garden or a reputable garden maintenance company including:
- Understanding of high-end horticulture.
- Knowledge of a variety of plants and the requirements for their successful cultivation.
- Competence working in herbaceous borders
- Competence in lawn maintenance
- Competence in handling and operating hand tools and maintenance of machinery
- Knowledge of relevant Health and Safety regulations
- FEPA PA1 (safe use of pesticides) and PA6 (handheld applicators) or willing to take this qualification.
In return, we offer the following benefits:
- £22,209.50 (pro rata)
- Private health scheme
- Pension scheme (15% employer contribution)
- 25 days’ holiday (plus Public Holidays)
- Season ticket loan
- Working hours 7.45am- 4.30pm 1st April till 30th September and 7.45am-4pm 1st October to 31st March, four full days a week
- Lunch provided free of charge daily when Inn’s kitchens are open; a taxed daily luncheon allowance provided when they are closed
The Inner Temple is committed to a policy of fairness and equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or age. Applicants are requested to complete an equality and diversity monitoring form while applying. The link to the online form can be found here:
To apply for the Gardener (part-time) role, please send your most recent CV and a cover letter/email telling us how your skills match the requirements we are after to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1st July 2019. All applicants are required to have the right to live and work in the UK. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that we are looking to interview candidates on 9th and 10th July 2019.
All CVs will be retained for three months and then destroyed confidentially.
More searches like this
- Horticultural Specialist Garden and Landscape Design Jobs Part Time jobs in London (Central)
- Countryside, Parks & Open Space Garden and Landscape Design Jobs Part Time jobs in London (Central)
- Groundskeeping & Maintenance Garden and Landscape Design Jobs Part Time jobs in London (Central)
- Growing Garden and Landscape Design Jobs Part Time jobs in London (Central)
- Landscaping Garden and Landscape Design Jobs Part Time jobs in London (Central)