Botanical Data Specialist
Candide is a fast-growing startup based in central Bristol with a mission to help and inspire novice and experienced gardeners alike through innovative technologies and passion for sharing knowledge. We have offices in Bristol, UK and Cape town, South Africa accommodating about 26 staff.
Currently launched in the UK, Ireland and South Africa, we are working towards globalising Candide and making it a useful daily tool for our rapidly growing base of users. In support of this we are looking to appoint a dynamic and multi-skilled Botanical Data Specialist based at our Bristol office.
Plant data forms the basis of our platforms, and we are rapidly expanding the breadth and depth of our data in support of automated plant identification. We want to take the next step, to deepen our species coverage and branch out to plant pathology so that our platform is useful to growers and gardeners in identifying healthy and diseased plants.
As a Botanical Data Specialist, you will help organise our plant data structure, research and capture plant data, review bulk data supplied by our partners and work with our engineers to train our machine learning engine to identify plants and characteristics of diseased plants. Every day will be different and involve working on a varied mix of these objectives depending on the priorities at hand.
- You value collaboration and are at your best when you’re part of a team;
- You have a deep understanding and curiosity in plant science (particularly, horticulture and plant taxonomy);
- You are happy working in the lab more than in the field;
- You are very comfortable with technology;
- You are pragmatic and can balance quality with speed.
- A relevant qualification in biology, horticulture or botany;
- A solid general knowledge of horticultural plants and their typical pathogens;
- Worked on in collaboration with growers, universities, associations or other industry groups;
- Ideally experience working on a plant collections management system such as IrisBG or BG-Base, or otherwise in structuring a taxonomic data scheme and building a database
- Problem solver that requires very little guidance on projects and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organization and presentation skills to structure your presentations and documents in a way that can be easily understood and modified by others;
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
Please submit a covering letter highlighting your fit to the experience and application criteria, together with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can only consider applicants that have a right to work in the United Kingdom, and base themselves at our Bristol office.
We offer an amazing work environment – both in the office and visiting the world's best gardens – and a fast-paced development cycle that moves the product forward quickly and is very responsive to opportunity. We have a solid strategic plan, long-range funding and a very experienced and capable team making it happen.
To find out more about Candide, visit candidegardening.com or download our app.