Head Gardener - Live Out- EC6560
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experienced, physically fit and hands-on Head Gardener to lead a small friendly team on a stunning and unique estate in the Cotswolds, Oxfordshire, on a full-time basis. Applicants should be experienced Head or Senior Gardeners with a thorough understanding of seasonal horticultural practices, have excellent plant knowledge and ideally, academic horticultural qualifications at RHS Level 3 or above/equivalent. Good physical fitness is of paramount importance for this role, as is a genuine love of plants.
This stunning eight-acre garden was designed by Isabel & Julian Bannerman in 1998 and has now become the home of a renowned biennial sculpture exhibition. There are some smaller open days and group visits but for much of the time, the garden is private and quiet.
The successful applicant will work alongside and manage a small team of part-time staff, freelancers and occasional volunteers. The Head Gardener will work closely with the owner and must be sympathetic to the original garden design.
Duties may include:
- Pruning (especially Roses)
- Hedge Cutting
- Lake and stream maintenance
- Orchard pruning and management
- Basic woodland maintenance
- Development and year-round maintenance of wildflower areas
- Development and maintenance of formal borders, herbaceous and shrubs
- Ordering of seeds, plants and garden sundries
- Advising on the necessity for arboricultural work
- Weed and pest control of the site using organic methods
- Seasonal bulb planting
- Plan and implementation planting schemes
- Production and management of all compost and mulch (in-house)
- Maintenance of all lawn areas, drives and pathways
- Management of irrigation system
- Pool care, including plant maintenance and water feature
- Arranging maintenance of garden machinery
- Liaison with contractors and suppliers
- Working with sculptors and curators during exhibition
The estate utilises organic principles throughout the garden. A significant portion of the role will include rose pruning, so applicants are required to have demonstrable experience in this area.
Good attention to detail, a common sense approach, strong communication skills and the ability to provide instruction with a positive, constructive manner are essential. Applicants must have good time management and planning abilities.
This position offers plenty of scope for initiative and creativity and will bring significant reward to the successful candidate. Working hours are 08:00 to 17:00, Monday to Friday, with occasional weekend work (with overtime paid). A full driving licence is required for this position.
SALARY: £35,000 DOE
LOCATION: Burford, Oxfordshire
JOB No: EC6560
If this Head Gardener vacancy is of interest please apply or contact Mark Read on 01233 733510 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Head Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Head Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.