Gardener and Grounds Person
Tudor Hall is an independent boarding and day school of approximately 330 girls, of whom 75% are full boarders. The school is situated in beautiful parkland surroundings approximately one mile outside Banbury. The 48 acre-estate comprises formal gardens, woodland, paddock, sports pitch, astroturf and 3 netball/4 tennis courts. We employ over 185 full- and part-time staff.
As part of the group we also own Carrdus School, an independent preparatory school for girls aged 3–11 and boys aged 3–7, located 10 minutes from Tudor Hall on the opposite side of Banbury. The school employs 35 staff and is situated in 11 acres of grounds including hard courts and an outdoor swimming pool.
We have a grounds and gardens team of four staff who work together to ensure a professional service and to ensure that the facilities are maintained to a high standard. The team works at both sites, although the post holder will be based at Tudor Hall for the majority of the time.
Both schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Gardener / Grounds Person
Personal Qualities Required
The successful candidate will possess:
- Previous experience of grounds maintenance and gardening.
- A team player but also a self-motivated individual able to work alone.
- Flexible and willing to undertake a varied workload.
- Committed to working to a high standard.
- Able to work at heights (ladder work).
- Valid UK driving licence.
- PA1 and PA6 Spraying Certificates.
- Chainsaw Certificate (ground level).
- A recognised Horticultural Qualification.
This is a demanding and varied role and as such the job description includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Maintenance of sports field.
- Maintenance of shrubs, roses, wild flower meadow, herbaceous bedding and formal bedding.
- Mowing – hand mower, ride on mower and strimmer.
- Pruning – roses, climbers, shrubs.
- Tractor driving including operation of bucket and trailer.
- Day to day maintenance of machinery.
- Herbicide / Pesticide spraying (if qualified).
- Chainsaw work for woodland maintenance (if qualified).
- Green House – sowing, potting on, propagation and cut flowers.
- Sweeping, de-icing, snow clearance.
- From time to time, assistance is required elsewhere in the school.
All staff share the responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and must adhere to, and comply with, the school’s Safeguarding Policy. If in the course of carrying out his/her duties the post-holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of the children in the school, he/she must report any concerns to the Deputy Head (Pastoral Care).
Full details of the post can be obtained from the School website or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
A covering letter summarising your suitability for the post along with the completed application form should reach Mrs Nicole Hamilton, Compliance Manager, by 13:00 Friday 3rd May, 2019. Interviews will be held week commencing 6th May, 2019.