A vacancy has arisen for a live in, full time head gardener at a country house estate near Cambridge.
The estate is run organically and is seeking a new head gardener with fresh energy, who has a collaborative approach and a good understanding of plants, borders and lawns, grounds maintenance and other estate duties.
The key responsibilities of the role will be the overall maintenance of the grounds, working alongside and managing the two other gardeners, as well as helping the farm manager at times.
Duties will include:
- Maintenance of herbaceous borders
- Pruning and care of walled garden
- Glass house care and management
- Vegetable garden maintenance
- General grounds care including use of strimmers/mowers/hedge cutters/chainsaws
- A variety of other outdoor estate tasks.
- Working and liaising with the home owners to achieve their objectives.
- Dealing with external contractors.
If you have high personal standards, possess a team ethic, communicate well and are positive, approachable, hard-working, enthusiastic and have a natural drive to ‘get the job done’ whatever the weather, then this could be the role for you.
Good craft skills and an ability to operate, maintain and care for a range of garden machinery are important attributes for this role. It would be useful if the candidate had chainsawing experience and certification.
Accommodation is provided, a 3 bedroom house on the edge of the estate, surrounded by its own private garden and parking.