Head Gardener - Live In or Live Out - EC6410
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced Head Gardener to take the lead role on a historic estate near Tetbury in the Cotswolds. This role would suit a skilled hands-on Head Gardener with extensive experience of managing private estate gardens and associated staff. If required, accommodation is provided for the ideal candidate with rent, Council Tax and utility bills paid by the employer.
This stunning Grade 2 listed property includes a 9-acre garden, comprising expansive formal lawns, box and yew hedges/topiary, herbaceous borders, an organic kitchen garden, cutting flowers, a glasshouse and garden water features. The owners have worked with renowned garden designer Tom Stuart-Smith to rejuvenate garden, including large walled garden and ornamental glasshouse.
Applicants for this vacancy should have excellent horticultural knowledge and hold a recognised horticultural qualification, ideally at RHS Level 3 or equivalent as well as proven experience of managing garden staff on large high-end private estates. Experience in organic gardening/growing would also be an advantage as the garden is largely run organically. The successful candidate will lead a team of three staff and will be required to work with the team on a hands-on, full-time basis.
Typical Head Gardener duties will include maintenance and management of the entire outdoor area under the employer’s ownership;
- Weed control of the whole site; (including extensive new woodland planting), via organic means whenever possible.
- Responsible for ensuring all plant support and staking is undertaken (herbaceous borders, cut flowers etc.) with natural materials; harvesting of silver birch and hazel.
- Advising on the necessity for arboricultural work by contractors, and carrying out ground-based work where within competence.
- Maintenance of all lawn areas.
- Seasonal bulb planting as required.
- Maintenance of all drives, paths, terraces and tracks.
- Managing the irrigation system.
- Regular mulching.
- Maintenance of garden features; e.g. water features, sculpture, seating, swimming pool maintenance within reason and competence.
- Checking drains.
- The maintenance of equipment; undertaking any minor repairs where possible, and arranging external maintenance/servicing where necessary.
- Organic pest control.
- Manage composting of waste on site.
- Organic vegetable and cut flower production in vegetable garden.
- Limited maintenance of external lighting (replacing bulbs).
- Supervision of ornamental glasshouse.
- Oversee pot plant (in house and outside), cut flower and vegetable propagation.
- Regularly liaise with the employer via a short weekly report by email or in person.
- Liaise with any professionals, landscape contractors and maintenance contractors, neighbours and suppliers to insure the effective management of the site.
- Care for chickens and runner ducks
- Provide and liaise with the cook and housekeeper regarding cut flowers, fruit and vegetables for the house and sometimes to take away for an additional property in London (maintenance of which does not fall within the remit for this role).
Applicants for this role should have experience in each of the above areas and be willing to learn aspects that fall outside the typical duties of a Head Gardener, i.e. chickens/ducks and basic swimming pool maintenance, if necessary.
This role will involve a commitment of up to 48-hours per week, with an expectation to undertake sufficient work required of the successful applicant’s own choosing, to keep the garden in a good state of health and a high quality of finish at all times. It is possible that by good management, weekend work will not be necessary other than for watering in hot weather. It is not anticipated that the Head Gardener would need to be on-call at weekends, however the expected seasonal variation in working hours applies; summer and winter daylight hours and associated growing conditions. The position is offered with the standard 28-days holiday per annum (including Bank Holidays), with holidays to be taken at reasonable times that do not conflict with the proper management and upkeep of the garden.
SALARY: £35,000 + Accommodation
LOCATION: Tetbury, Gloucestershire
JOB No: EC6410
If this Head Gardener vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Mark Read on 01233 733510 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Head Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Head Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.
Apply for Head Gardener - Live In or Live Out - EC6410
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly