Build an English Country House Garden
A full-time Head Gardener is required for a new 5ha suite of gardens set in existing woodlands, with surrounding parkland, deer park and meadows as part of the construction of a new country house in a 200 acre estate in Yorkshire. The Head Gardener will be responsible for implementing the planting of the new gardens, their establishment, and the maintenance and management of the entire outdoor area of the estate. The Head Gardener will also assist in recruitment of the team of gardeners to carry out this work.
This is a rare opportunity for a talented Head Gardener or aspiring Head Gardener with excellent horticultural knowledge to lead a new team in the creation of new gardens in a superb location.
The estate is in a stunning location near Kirkbymoorside on the edge of The North York Moors National Park. It includes formal and flower gardens, with lawns, hedging and topiary, a palm house with fish ponds, walled and kitchen gardens, an arboretum, orchard, meadows, moat and lakes. These new landscaped gardens provide a beautiful and structural setting to the first major new country house built in Yorkshire for more than 200 years.
- A proven track record, with minimum of 3 years experience as Head Gardener, gardener-in-charge or assistant head gardener level, of substantial high quality horticultural work.
- Sound horticultural knowledge, excellent knowledge of plants and all-round experience.
- Ability to manage, mentor and develop a high-calibre team and show initiative.
- Effective organisational and communication skills.
- Effective time management skills.
- Good financial management.
- Flexible approach to duties undertaken.
- Honesty and a high level of integrity.
- Enthusiasm and capacity for hard work.
- Attention to detail.
- Systematic and cheerful approach with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Thorough understanding of relevant Health and Safety legislation, formal training in manual handling and risk assessment.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work alongside the employer’s landscape architects during the construction period with a view to a phased handover of areas for implementation of planting and establishment. This work to include all bed preparation; the sourcing of plant material; planting/seeding; maintenance and management of the gardens and parkland.
- Establish, direct, supervise and train a team of full and part time gardeners for initial implementation and subsequent management of gardens.
- Be responsible for the selection and purchase of machinery tools and equipment and maintenance of all plant and machinery.
- Maintain the presentation of the gardens to a high standard at all times.
- Develop the maintenance and management plan with the employer’s landscape architect based on effective application of organic principles and sustainable practice.
- Manage agreed annual garden budget and ordering plant material and other sundries when necessary and be accountable for financial control of the garden expenditure.
- Within the budget or by special agreement, acquire such outside advice or support as may from time to time be necessary.
- Keep a record of plants received, plants lost and plants ordered for entering in database.
- Maintain records for the gardens, machinery, and health and safety.
- Work closely with the employer and any other key personnel in the house and estate management.
- NVQ Level 3 or equivalent, NCH, HND, OND, City & Guilds, Kew or Edinburgh Diploma in Horticulture, RHS level 2, RHS Level 3, MHort RHS.
For further details about the position then please contact Tom Robinson via the email address noted below. If you are interested in applying for this position please send a CV and cover letter including contact details of two references before the deadline 18th April 2019.
Apply for Head Gardener
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Horticultural Specialist Technical Jobs jobs in North East England
- Countryside, Parks & Open Space Technical Jobs jobs in North East England
- Greenkeeping & Turf Care Technical Jobs jobs in North East England
- Groundskeeping & Maintenance Technical Jobs jobs in North East England
- Landscaping Technical Jobs jobs in North East England