Head of Gardens - 39445
The Head of Gardening & Open Spaces is responsible for developing and maintaining Estate gardens to a high standard, reporting to the Gardens Manager for our Client based in Central London
- The quality of the maintenance and overall appearance of the gardens, open spaces and facilities.
- The application of horticultural knowledge and skills to provide attractive and sustainable gardens.
- Participation in the completion of the annual horticultural programme of work to maintain high standards, cost effectively and efficiently.
- Creation and delivery of annual plans to help the gardens evolve incrementally and continually improve.
- The management and co-ordination of the Garden Team to ensure a cohesive, professional and effective team.
- Effective communication within the team and working autonomously within agreed parameters.
- Ensuring the customer comes first by providing a visible presence acting as an ambassador for the Estate with time to communicate on all issues related to the operation of the gardens.
The main tasks and responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Propose and implement weekly, monthly and annual programmes of work to include the maintenance of all gardens and open spaces on the Estate
- Develop the gardens incrementally to maximise their beauty and standing in the community.
- Plan and budget to achieve best value whilst achieving the objectives set within the programmes of work.
- Provide on the job training and horticultural guidance to the Garden Team and garden contractors.
- Lead, motivate and support garden staff, promote smooth working relationships, encourage internal co-operation and team working to maximize the effectiveness of the Garden Team.
- Manage the administration of all garden task related operations, ensuring the professional maintenance of all tree, plant and financial records.
- Work with arboriculture specialists to oversee the delivery of the Tree Policy – both in terms of Safety and Sustainability.
- Ensure compliance of all Health and Safety legislation and requirements in accordance with current Health and Safety at Work and other relevant legislation.
- Managing contractors to ensure value for money, and processes including H&S.
- Ensuring customer satisfaction by acting as an ambassador for the Estate with time to communicate on all issues related to the operation of the gardens.
- Work closely with the Gardens Manager and the gardens administration team and make proposals where there is a need to consult outside of agreed authority.
- Spending time in the garden doing gardening and pruning to use and maintain skills built up over a long career.
- Hort qualified with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Full clean driving licence
- Have an excellent understanding of H&S within the workplace
Apply for Head of Gardens - 39445
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly