Head Gardener - Live In/Out - EC6092
A fantastic hands-on garden management opportunity has arisen for an experienced Head Gardener to play a key role on the ongoing management of one of the UK’s leading rural estates.
Extending over 25,000 acres in the North Norfolk area, the land and property-based activities include residential and commercial lettings, property development, arable and vegetable farming, forestry, country sports, an inn, a holiday park, beaches, car parks, admissions, cafes, shops, concerts and events. Over the past 5 years there has been significant investment to transform the visitor experience at the estate, including a 6.5-acre walled garden and an extensive education and events program.
The new Head Gardener will take responsibility for all activity undertaken by the gardens team in the park and across the wider estate, so as to ensure the efficient running of the department. The presentation, maintenance and conservation of the estate grounds and Grade 1 listed park are key to the role, in particular the presentation of the Hall Terraces, the Arboretum and the Walled Garden.
Responsibilities of the Head Gardener:
- To be responsible for the overall management of the gardens department to include the day to day organisation of the team of 8 staff and approximately 60 volunteers.
- To take full responsibility for the gardens department within the budget, including all income derived from visitor activity and plant sales at the Walled Garden.
- To oversee the smooth garden-based running of contracts with the holiday park, the property department, the Inn and other clients across the estate.
- To implement and manage capital projects in conjunction with the General Manager, in particular, the walled garden restoration project.
- During the open season, to be responsible for ensuring that the park, and in particular the walled garden, is well presented to the public and offers an excellent visitor experience.
- To be responsible for the well-being and training and development of the gardens team and manage the team in accordance with the Staff Handbook.
- To oversee the upkeep of the vehicles and machinery and orders/purchasing.
- To oversee Health and Safety across the department.
- To investigate new opportunities for the department in conjunction with the General Manager.
- To liaise and co-operate with other departments as required.
- To maintain strong existing educational relationships and to support occasional tours and talks for visitors.
- Oversee the growing of vegetables and cut flowers for use on the estate.
- Appoint, organise and liaise where necessary with external and internal contractors.
- To be sympathetic of conservation responsibilities, recognising that the park is Grade 1 listed, a SSSI, and that the estate has a large number of listed buildings.
The successful candidate should be an experienced garden manager with a proven ability for motivating staff, an excellent knowledge of horticulture and a track record of delivering projects on time and to budget. Candidates must have an RHS Level 3 (or equivalent/above) qualification and ideally have the relevant chainsaw and pesticide tickets. The high performing team will benefit from your organised and positive “can do” approach. Experience of managing volunteers is desirable.
The Head Gardener will work with a diverse range of people and it is therefore essential that you have great interpersonal skills. Good communication and presentation skills will help you deliver key messages both internally and to visitors.
This is a hands-on management role, so applicants must have a good level of fitness. A genuine enthusiasm, a keen eye for detail, an appreciation of quality and a willingness to lead by example and to work calmly under pressure, are essential. Applicants must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom and have a full, clean driving licence.
SALARY: Up to £38,000 DOE
LOCATION: North Norfolk
JOB No: EC6092
If this Head Gardener vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Mark Read on 01233 733510 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Head Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Head Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.