Our beautiful 55-acre estate, adjacent to Henley-on-Thames in Oxfordshire, offers a stunning environment to work in. We offer fantastic opportunities for horticulture professionals to enjoy a fulfilling career with us and develop their skills.
Description and dimensions of role:
The Craft Gardener is responsible, under the direction of Landscape Consultant Nick Bailey, for the day to day maintenance of the garden, glasshouse and wider landscapes of a 55 acre estate adjacent to Henley, along with assisting the Woodland Operative as required.
They will work closely with Nick Bailey taking direction and assisting in developing maintenance plans and work schedules. While the work is predominantly horticulturally focused the post holder may be required to undertake other tasks associated with the Estate or other properties/events associated with the owner.
Key duties and responsibilities:
• Work under the direction of the Landscape Consultant in relation to all works carried out on the site.
• Maintain a high standard of horticulture through the application of specialist horticultural skills in order to sustain and develop a world-class garden.
• Carry out seasonal gardening duties across the site including but not limited to the walled garden, glasshouse, village area and wider landscape.
• Undertake horticultural tasks including but not limited to: grass cutting, edging, pruning, dead heading, training, weeding, planting, glasshouse maintenance, propagation, hedge cutting, hard landscape maintenance, composting, staking, applying pesticides, producing and harvesting crops/plants/cut flowers for use in the main house along with any tasks required by the family office and/or the Landscape Consultant.
• Comply with all current Health and Safety legislation, in collaboration with the Landscape Consultant.
• Undertake work related to development projects in the garden and wider landscape.
• When and if called upon to do so, supervise contract workers, taking special note of any health, safety and welfare needs including the preparation of risk assessments or method statements prior to any work commencing.
• Communicate health and safety issues to the Landscape Consultant and take responsibility for stopping work and the work of others if you believe any acts to be dangerous or negligent to the person or those around, including but not limited to other staff, contractors and visitors.
• Be prepared to work at height.
• A broad knowledge of garden, glasshouse and landscape maintenance, ideally gleaned on a private estate, historic or botanic garden setting
• Ability to work at speed while delivering consistently high-quality horticulture and finish/presentation
• A minimum of a level 3 horticultural qualification (NDH / RHS l3 / HNC)
• A minimum of 3 years hands-on experience as a full-time gardener
• A PA1 and PA6a Pesticides Application qualification
• Demonstrable horticultural skills and the ability to work alone or with small teams
• Capacity to communicate clearly in both written and oral forms
• Broader experience of property and/or estate management would be desirable
Salary: £20k-£40k DOE and responsibilities (accommodation may be available).
FIRST INTERVIEWS TO BE HELD IN HENLEY ON THE 14 MARCH 2019
(interview will include a practical test, plant identification test and formal interview)