Estate Management design, repair, maintain and secure all campuses. We aim to provide a seamless service to all students, staff and visitors. Covering a multitude of services, we are available to assist with any issue concerning the University estate and grounds.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for two Grounds Persons to join the Estate Management team at the University of Essex.
Duties of the role
The post holders will report to the Deputy Grounds Manager and will work as part of a team and on their own to maintain and develop the historic parkland, sports fields and general University grounds to a high standard.
You will be responsible for general gardening duties which shall include; landscaping, maintenance to the sports field and synthetic sports surfaces, planting, pruning, hoeing, seeding, turfing, mowing, strimming, litter picking, lake maintenance, path clearing/edging, snow clearing and gritting. You will also be responsible for:
- Implementing various landscaping schemes on campus.
- Carrying out daily maintenance of the sports fields, cricket wickets, hard tennis courts and synthetic playing surfaces.
- Using, maintaining and making routine adjustments to grounds maintenance machinery/equipment/tools, which includes ATV’s, tractors, mowers, gritting equipment, chainsaws and chippers.
- Fulfilling litter collection duties on site.
- Attending all the necessary training programmes to ensure you are able to complete your role correctly, these courses may not all be at the University.
Skills and qualifications required
You will have a good understanding of working within the gardening/grounds environment, with experience of operating a variety of grounds machinery and equipment. You will desire to produce a high level of service and have an excellent attention to detail. The successful candidate will also have:
- GCSE Grade C, or equivalent, in English and Mathematics and 3 other subjects
- Awareness and knowledge of Health & Safety legislation relating to grounds chemicals/materials and working practises.
- An ability to communicate at all levels with good relationship building skills.
Whilst the following is not essential, it would be desirable if you hold an NVQ in Amenity Horticulture and Sports Field Maintenance level 2 or equivalent.
At the University of Essex internationalism is central to who we are and what we do. We are committed to being a cosmopolitan, internationally-oriented university that is welcoming to staff and students from all countries and a university where you can find the world in one place.
Please visit our website (http://www.essex.ac.uk/vacancies/) for a full job description, person specification and more information relating to this post. We recommend you read this information carefully before making an application. Applications should be made on-line, but if you would like advice or help in making an application, or need information in a different format, please telephone the Resourcing Team (01206 876559).
Closing date: 6 February 2019
Interviews are planned for: 14 February 2019
Salary: £19,202 – £22,017 per annum