Head Gardener - EC5604
A rare opportunity has arisen for an experienced hands-on gardens manager to take responsibility for two crematoriums and seven members of staff in the NW11 and N2 areas of London. This role would suit an experienced gardener with good horticultural knowledge, a diplomatic management style and an ability to provide excellent customer service.
The two sites, of 12 acres and 10 acres respectively, are located within approximately 2-miles of each other in north West London. The sites are managed by one team of 7 gardeners for whom the successful applicant will be responsible on a full-time permanent basis.
Applicants for this role should have good horticultural knowledge and extensive experience of managing teams of garden staff in a commercial or private setting. The ideal applicant will hold spray certificates as well as a recognised academic horticultural qualification and good physical fitness. Applicants should be able to demonstrate a history of budget management, staff management, a full UK driving licence, extensive experience with gardening equipment operation and maintenance, and an instinctive ability to work to excellent standards of health and safety at all times. An ability to be diplomatic and calculated is necessary when dealing with team members, members of the public, and other departments associated with the company. Applicants must have a keen desire to pass on their knowledge to the garden staff at every opportunity to ensure continued development, upskilling and efficiency of the team.
The Head Gardener will be responsible for the daily management of the gardens and public areas, including the car parks, and to delegate and take part in the daily duties as required. Consideration to seasonal garden management requirements must be given at all times, with initiative applied with respect to the development and enhancement of the grounds.
The successful applicant will ensure the most cost effective and best use/deployment of the gardening team and equipment across both sites. He/she must ensure full, daily and timely use of the BOS (Business Operating System) in relation to the department.
The Head Gardener will also be required to liaise with the advisor(s) with regards to garden memorials; their type, positioning, installation/planting and maintenance.
General and additional responsibilities of the successful applicant are as follows:
- To organise the purchasing of supplies and equipment and associated paperwork as required.
- To liaise with external contractors when relevant in relation to works being carried out at either site.
- To manage a gardens complaints system, liaising with clients and colleagues as necessary.
- To participate in the compilation, control and operation of an annual budget, including materials, equipment, training and overtime.
- To carry out investigations and aid in staff disciplinaries when required.
- To oversee and assist with the cleaning, maintenance and care of plants in a prominent building associated with the site.
- To oversee and assist with the training and development of the gardening team.
- To oversee and assist with the maintenance of gardening equipment and machinery; ensuring full safe working order and where possible, to carry out repairs in-house.
- To be fully conversant with the company’s Health & Safety policy, ensuring compliance at all times, personally and of the garden team, and to inform the London Area Manager of any Health & Safety concerns at all times.
- To be aware of and manage health and safety matters relating to the department, including the use of garden equipment and the storage and use of garden chemicals and fuels. In addition, advise on and implement where necessary legislation pertaining to health and safety, particularly hazardous substances (COSHH).
- To ensure that all equipment and premises relating to the department are secure at all times.
- To ensure that the departments staff welfare facilities are always kept clean and tidy to a set and agreed standard.
- To carry out any reasonable requests or instruction for the better fulfilment of duties, and at all times to behave and act in a manner befitting the position held and the nature of the company’s business activities.
Applicants for this position should have demonstrable experience in the above areas of work and a methodological approach, with excellent attention to detail. This is a rare opportunity for a talented commercial or private estate gardener to take on a hands-on management role with a generous salary offering on a permanent full-time basis.
SALARY: £35,000 - £40,000 DOE
LOCATION: North West London
JOB No: EC5604
If this Head Gardener vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Mark Read on 01233 733510 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Head Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Head Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.