We are looking to recruit a rare breed of horticultural brilliance – a Head Gardener with a wealth of experience, a creative and artistic eye, sound plant knowledge, a keenness to support nature in the garden and brilliant inter-personal skills to lead the gardening team at Buckland Abbey.
What you'll be doing
Every one of your team plays a valuable and important part to make this special place beautiful and vibrant. Using your strong organisational, communication and administration skills you’ll ensure the efficient management of the gardening team and compliance with all relevant legislation.
A big part of your job will be engaging with stakeholders including visitors, the team, community groups, projects and many more. You’ll get involved with the interpretation and programming for our visitors to help them understand the history of our gardens, the place, and plant collections. You’ll share your passion for our special place and instil a team culture of exceptional customer service. You’ll promote a culture of openness and involvement by engaging and building relationships with local communities and others in our work.
You’ll be an active member of the leadership team and using your knowledge and team insights you’ll help make informed decisions. Using collaborative working with other colleagues across the portfolio, you’ll work to constantly improve our gardens, and visitor offer.
Regular weekend and bank holiday working is a requirement of this role.
Who we're looking for
To deliver this role successfully, you’ll need to;
- Significant practical experience in horticulture, supported by appropriate qualifications to RHS level 3 (or equivalent level of vocational experience)
- Good people skills enabling strong relationships to be built and maintained externally and with staff and volunteers
- Experience of organising garden activities which enhance our visitor experience
- Leadership skills including coaching, team development, motivation and communication
- Proven track record of managing budgets, finances and small projects
- Good written and verbal communication skills including public presentation, influencing and negotiating
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of all Health & Safety and Compliance requirements relevant to horticulture