POSITION - HEAD GARDENER
Llanover, Abergavenny, South Wales
Llanover is a privately owned, listed historic garden, with an arboretum, herbaceous borders, lawns, streams and ponds. There is a greenhouse for plants and propagation, and a small vegetable area. The garden is open one day per year for the National Garden Scheme and hosts a Rare Plant Fair. Groups visit by appointment under the guidance of the owners.
The Head Gardener has an essential full-time, hands-on role in the daily care and maintenance of the 15 acre garden, ensuring that the whole is kept to a high standard throughout the year.
A competitive salary is available to the successful applicant. This can include accommodation. Paid holiday: Twenty eight days per year including Public and Bank Holidays
GENERAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Border maintenance including the planting, cultivation and care of herbaceous plants, bedding, pruning, tying in of climbers and weed control
- Arboretum maintenance including planting and care of trees and shrubs, pruning, staking and protection from pests.
- Maintaining the lawns, extensive wildflower and bulb areas.
- General garden tidying including streams and ponds
- Pest, disease and weed control including use of chemicals.
- Greenhouse work to provide houseplants and to propagate plants for the borders, arboretum & vegetable patch for which occasional watering and ventilation may be required at weekends
- To supervise occasional contractors working in the garden
- Basic maintenance of machinery and tools including Kubota tractor and trailer, John Deere ride on mower, Honda pedestrian mower, leaf blower, strimmer, chain and pole saws
- To observe Health & Safety regulations at all times
- At least 5 years horticultural experience with in-depth knowledge of plants and garden maintenance
- Must be enthusiastic, physically fit and willing to work primarily alone
- PA1 and PA6 chemical application and CS30 and CS31 chainsaw certificates will be required
- Full driving licence
- Excellent references
To find out more about the garden look at www.llanovergarden.co.uk
Please send CV with covering letter giving an indication of salary expectation, accommodation requirement, and names of two referees to firstname.lastname@example.org marked for the attention of Elizabeth Murray
Closing date for applications 27 January 2019. Ideal start date end March.
Apply for SENIOR GARDENER
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Horticultural Specialist Management Jobs jobs in Abergavenny
- Countryside, Parks & Open Space Management Jobs jobs in Abergavenny
- Greenkeeping & Turf Care Management Jobs jobs in Abergavenny
- Groundskeeping & Maintenance Management Jobs jobs in Abergavenny
- Landscaping Management Jobs jobs in Abergavenny