6 days left
- Contract Type
INVERNESS BOTANIC GARDENS, NURSERY & ASSOCIATED PROJECTS.
Hours: 35 hrs per week
Salary: £22,622 - £25,443.
High Life Highland seeks a dynamic, highly motivated Head Gardener at one of the most popular visitor attractions in the City of Inverness. The post holder will maintain, develop and shape Inverness Botanic Gardens and Nursery and focus on leading, training and developing a team of staff and volunteers to ensure the garden’s sustainability. Educated to HND in Horticulture/RHS equivalent or with extensive experience of working effectively in the sector, you should be creative and innovative with excellent communication and organisational skills.
To maintain, develop and shape Inverness Botanic Gardens, Nursery and Bught projects, showcasing the best of gardening practice in the Highlands, while giving an excellent educational visitor experience. To effectively lead, train and develop a team of staff and volunteers to ensure the long term environmental and financial sustainability of the gardens and associated projects.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- To work with the Facility Manager to achieve the objectives of High Life Highland.
- To be practically involved in all areas of IBGN as necessary.
- To produce monthly and annual rotas and arrange cover for absences as required.
- To organise, develop and deliver educational and commercial activities on and off site.
- To organise, develop and deliver retail opportunities for trade and non-trade.
- To produce annual, monthly and weekly garden plans and coordinate the purchase of equipment and resources as required.
- To line manage, develop and train permanent and relief staff.
- To Coordinate and develop volunteers in line with HLH objectives.
- To advance the education and awareness of the public, in biodiversity, horticulture, botany and the environment through the provision of classes, workshops, short courses, out-reach programmes, publications, participation opportunities and other media promotion.
- To be responsible for plant collection management, keeping accurate botanical records.
- Hold a First Aid Qualification as required by High Life Highland and act as one of the designated First Aid Persons.
- Ensure legislative compliance in all areas, including safe working practices in accordance with current health and safety legislation and to carry out health and safety procedures as required by HLH.
- To be a key holder and when required be able to respond to out of hours call outs.
- To fulfill our obligations to Highland Council, NHS, BID and other trusted partners and stakeholders.
You may be required to perform duties, appropriate to the post, other than those given in the job specification. The particular duties and responsibilities attached to posts may also be varied without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and would not themselves justify reconsideration of the grading. As a result of such variations it will be necessary to update this job specification from time to time.
For more information, please see the attached job description and person specification.
Date: December 2018
Apply for Head Gardener
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly