Assistant Gardener and Plant Records Officer
MKT171 - Assistant Gardener and Plant Records Officer
Salary Band: Grade 3, £9,099.60 - £9,890.80 pro rata (based on the full time annual salary of £22,749 - £24,727)
Part time (14 hours per week), Permanent
The Royal College of Physicians, London is looking for an Assistant Gardener and Plant Records Officer to play an integral role in the development of the garden as a place of scientific and historical importance and to ensure that the College grounds are maintained to a high standard, under the supervision of the Head Gardener. Please note that this is a job sharing position.
Working hours will be from 8.30 till 4.30 for two days a week, to include a Friday and one other regular day.
- Participation in all regular gardening duties involved in the care of a wide and diverse range of plants and ensuring that the garden is always maintained to the highest standard.
- Management and development of the Garden Database
- Assisting with the compiling, ordering and maintenance of all standard plant labels
- Supporting the Head Gardener in the compiling and updating of garden publications, garden trails and associated leaflets and in the compilation of a regular ‘Featured Plant’ article.
- Pest and Disease management.
- Sole responsibility for looking after the garden one day a week.
- The supervision of volunteer gardeners.
- High degree of skill in all day to day gardening tasks, backed up with recognized horticultural qualifications at least to level 2 of the National Occupational Standards framework (www.lantra.org.uk) and including PA1/PA6
- Minimum of 3 years professional horticultural experience, preferably in a botanic or historic garden setting
- Computer literacy and familiarity with, or previous experience of using, a botanic garden database
- Knowledge of pest and disease management
- Good plant knowledge and an interest in the uses of plants
- Reliable and hardworking attitude
- Confident to work alone but also willingness to work alongside other members of a small and supportive team
Benefits include 27 days of annual leave (pro rata), free lunch, 7% employer pension contribution, season ticket loan (access to this loan is after probation) and much more.
For more information about the role and our benefits, please view the job description and person specification.
About the RCP Garden of Medicinal Plants
The garden, within the precincts of the Royal College of Physicians of London, covers just under an acre and has approximately 1,100 taxa connected with medicine, herbal traditions and physicians. It is used as a recreational area by staff and members of the College and is hired for conferences and events. It is open to the public.
The garden team of two gardeners and several volunteers including six Garden Fellows produce a range of publications including books and trail leaflets and offer educational tours. They maintain a database and run a website with horticultural, photographic and ethno-botanical information at https://garden.rcplondon.ac.uk/
Closing date: 7 January 2019
Interview date: 23 January 2019
To apply for this role please submit your CV and Supporting Statement outlining how your skills and experience match the job description and person specification.