This role offers an exciting opportunity for an experienced Arboriculturalist to work as part of the Green Team.
The successful candidate will work alongside the Senior Arboricultural Officer to assist with the strategic management and development of the Boroughs tree stock. This will include making informed tree works recommendations, providing technical advice to the Planning department on all arboricultural matters and responding to tree related queries.
Tower Hamlets Council is committed to maintaining and improving its green spaces across the Borough and the Arboricultural Officer will have a key role in implementing this.
The key responsibilities for this role are:
- Implement Tower Hamlets Council’s tree strategy
- Carry out VTA and make tree works recommendations using Ezytreev
- Provide technical advice to the planning department on all arboricultural matters
- Respond to council departments, local members and members of the public regarding tree related queries
- Organise new and replacement tree planting across the Borough
- Monitor arboriculture contracts and prepare tenders
- Liaise with and advise council departments and other public and private sector organisations on tree related issues.
- Respond to emergencies and issue relevant tree works.
- Implement and promote equal opportunities, including undertaking any training where necessary.
- Implement and promote the councils health and safety policy to safeguard employees, contractors, members of the public, property and the environment.
You will have a minimum of a Level 3 qualification in Arboriculture or an equivalent subject.
You will have the appropriate skills to correctly identify tree species, carry out visual tree assessments (VTA), make tree works recommendations and carry out amenity assessments of trees.
You will have a thorough understanding of trees and their management in the public realm, including an up to date understanding and knowledge of current arboricultural issues.
You will have experience working in arboricultural planning and development, including an in depth knowledge of relevant Planning Legislation and British Standards.
You will have experience planting trees in the public realm, including a thorough understanding of above and below ground considerations and correct tree species selection.
You will have good organisational skills and the ability to organise your own priorities and work independently.
You will have good written and verbal communication skills.
You will have a good understanding of IT and keyboard skills. The authority uses Ezytreev tree management software and a good knowledge of this would be advantageous.
You will have a good understanding of the positive impacts trees have and the positive role they play in environmental management and quality.
You will have a proactive approach in terms of promoting community and third sector involvement.
A valid UK driving licence and/or vehicle would be desirable.
For an informal discussion on this post, please contact Adam Armstrong, Senior Arboricultural Officer on email@example.com
Benefits and Allowances
Essential Car User Allowance subject to authorisation
This post is open to the following types of applicants: Internal/ External/ Agency
If this role is available to Internal employees only, this will include agency workers but does not include independent contractors or Skills Match trainees
All applications should be made via our online application system, no CV’s or alternative forms of applications are accepted.
Internal employees should apply via the council's Intranet. External applicants apply via the Council's website www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/careers