If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in as well as one of the largest plant collections in Europe.
What it's like to work here
It’s an exciting time to work at the celebrated Edwardian retreat of Polesden Lacey. New areas of the property have opened to the public, making this a year-round attraction with lots of opportunities within the team. The property boasts glorious views of the surrounding Surrey Hills, as well as an impressive art collection, manicured gardens and a large National Trust Shop. Colleagues have a great team spirit with close links to the local community. This picturesque property is just four miles outside of Dorking, however you're likely to need your own transport to get here.
Everything in the garden reflects Mrs. Greville's desire to impress her guests with lavish displays, garden tours are available through the day in summer and weekends in the winter.
What you'll be doing
You’ll love working outdoors and understand that our gardens and grounds are as significant as our mansion houses, collections and our historical places. Our visitors tell us how much they enjoy the peace and tranquillity of our well-kept outdoor spaces, which makes your role vital in making sure our visitors have an amazing experience.
We don’t just need you to manage our beautiful gardens, although this is an important part of the role; we’d like you to help manage the team too. Alongside the other Senior Gardener in our team, we’d like you to lead by example, with exceptional gardening skills, and also help to manage the workload for this team, and deliver exceptional training to new staff and volunteers.
This new role will help with the restoration of key areas of the formal gardens, and developing our extensive pleasure grounds, as well as helping maintain the existing garden areas, including leading on the management and development of our productive gardens.
Working with our Gardens and Outdoors Manager and Head Gardener you will help recruit additional Volunteer teams, and assist with the research and planning for redeveloping areas of the garden, unlocking the huge potential that Polesden has to offer.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Significant practical experience in horticulture supported by relevant qualifications
- Have supervisory experience from a similar role
- Excellent knowledge of plants
- Competent with the use and maintenance of garden machinery including chainsaws, tractors, hedge trimmers, pedestrian and ride on mowers
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation and practice
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £3.09 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership at over 100 leisure facilities across the country
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our Retail and Food & Beverage outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking